1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Finding a suitable therapist in the UK?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by thecomputer, Jan 10, 2017.

1. thecomputer

thecomputer Well known member

Hi

Firstly, know there is a find a therapist section, but there are very few options in the UK. None close to where I live.

So I'm wondering, if I am looking to work from a TMS perspective with a therapist, what should I be looking for? Sarno always just says psychotherapy, which is a fairly broad term.

I have had years and years of therapy, from CBT to humanistic counselling to emdr. But I never knew of tms

Before reading sarnos work I was a little bit aversive to tge more Freudian analytic therapy, in favour of the more modern mindfulness and somatic type therapies which focus much more on the moment, often discounting childhood and past problems.

So going into any deep psycho analytic work would be fairly new for me.

It's always a daunting process trying to find a good therapist, and especially now I am sorry going to work on dealing with my TMS symptoms, and everything thatngoes along with them.

Thought it might be an interesting discussion

2. Ferndale37

Ferndale37 Peer Supporter

Georgie oldfield SIRPA, she's really good and is pioneering TMS treatment in the UK. She's based in Huddersfield but does clinics in London, Skype consultations and an online course, she's also written a book and runs pain workshops in various locations.

3. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi robodelfy,

Here is the link to SIRPA practitioners: http://www.sirpauk.com/find-a-practitioner/ (Find a Practitioner | SIRPA UK)

Georgie Oldfield is a physiotherapist and has a general practitioner training about TMS for any mental or physical healthcare provider. It sounds like you are interested in specifically finding a psychotherapist to delve deeper into some of your issues? Listed here are many different health professionals, I believe a few of them are psychotherapists.

In terms of what to look for in a psychotherapist in general, my understanding is that you will want someone who will use psychoanalysis as a technique to explore the underlying causes for your unconscious emotions that have come up. CBT is a great technique for modification of thoughts and attitudes, and a mindfulness approach is also crucial to address current issues and anxieties and promote acceptance and self compassion. However, past issues and childhood cannot be ignored when dealing with TMS pain and it would be best to find a therapist who understands this. It's my understanding that TMS-oriented psychotherapists may use any and all of these techniques for clients, for different purposes. Check out the various techniques used at Alan Gordon's Pain Psychology Center for an example: http://www.painpsychologycenter.com/therapy-techniques.html (Pain Psychology Center: Therapy Techniques)

Good luck with your search!

4. thecomputer

thecomputer Well known member

Thanks for the replies guys. I had always been under the impression that that style of pscyhoanalyic therapy was a very onvolved process and could go on for years. It also seems to be less and less popular, being favoured much more by mindfulness based stuff.

I will keep looking into it and hopefully find someone to work with

Thanks