1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Does this mean I am a hypochondriac?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by rena, Feb 26, 2016.

1. rena

rena Newcomer

I met with my spine dr today. He suggested this to me. He says it helped him. I want more than anything for all of this pain to go away. I was diligent at PT. I do all of the stuff I should do but it just seems to get worse.
    I am a swimmer and I havent been able to swim as much because I am always dizzy. I hate talking about myself this way. I used to be so strong and active. Also really happy. I had my ankle fused about 5 years ago. I have been a mess ever since. I am so tired of it. I believe in mindfulness. I have a therapist that is super helpful. But today I felt confused by what my doctor said. I am going to do this with as open a mind as possible.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi rena, and Welcome to the Forum and Wiki.

Your spine doctor sent you here because he is open-minded and educated. Most physicians no nothing of this approach. Take heart. You are not, by your description a hypochondriac. Your spine doctor feels your pain is caused by the natural defense mechanism that Dr. Sarno describes: Our mind-body creates pain --and other symptoms, in order to distract us from difficult feelings down deep. It is that simple, and Dr. Sarno says this "malady" effects all of us, to one degree or another.

You are very fortunate to have your physician send you here.

At first I could not believe my severe foot pain could possibly be caused by my mind-body, without a physical cause. I kept searching to avoid surgery, and ended up with eight doctors at one time or another ready to operate. I did years of PT, alternative medicine, blood platelet injections, sports medicine, orthodics, accupuncture, casted my own foot for 3 months and didn't use it ---all of this for nothing. Using Dr. Sarno's approach, once I investigated my doubts, gave me my life back. http://www.tmspainrelief.com/exploring-doubts-about-dr-sarnos-work/

You're not crazy to be here.

I recommend you read success stories, going to the Wiki and educate yourself. Read a Dr. Sarno book or two, and very soon start the free TMS Recovery Program and Structured Education Program at the Wiki. And post your responses, questions, concerns along the way. We've all suffered like you have. I felt like I had aged 20 years. I did not take one pain-free step nor an "unnecessary" step for over three years. Now I ski and hike up mountains. Good luck in your work.

Andy B

3. rena

rena Newcomer

Thank You Andy,
    Everything you describe is everything I want. I am so tired of being the sick one of the group, the at least you tried person. I am an open water and cold water swimmer. I swam an Ice mile and I have dreams of swimming every where. Something you said just gutted me, the not taking an unnecessary step. I hate that about my life. I have fallen so much in the past 5 weeks. My knee is huge. I have to say the fact that no one has asked for a penny leads me to believe there is more to this than I thought. I appreciate you sharing with me.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Rena. I echo A ndy's advice. You love to swim, which is one of the best exercise and feel-good activities. I hope you will get back in the pool and ue a float board to steady yourself or hold onto the edge of the pool. Just a little walking or swimming in the pool will get you back to swimming as you used to.

You're not a hypochondriac. You just have some repressed emotions causing your pain. Keep working the SEProgram and journaling to discover the harmful emotions.

You have come to the right place to become pain-free. The SEProgram helped heal me from severe back pain and has helped many others.