1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Does it get worse before it gets better and is other peoples TMS anything like mine?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by clive, May 20, 2013.

1. clive

clive New Member

Kicking up all this s*** up in my unconscious mind is it other peoples experience that things get worse before they get better?

Also

Does anybody else have a similar TMS mix to me: mine is a mixture of pain, numbness, tingling and tinitus on the physical side; fear, dread and feeling agitated on the emotional side with desperate thoughts mixed in?

Sorry to sound so dismal ....

Clive

2. D. R. Martin

D. R. Martin Peer Supporter

I can't say I have the same symptoms exactly, but my TMS symptoms are not shifting but accumulating. Left knee pain now joined by right knee pain and back pain. Seems to be getting worse to me. The fear and dread and the desperate thoughts are definitely on the menu, too; which can't help matters. Comments would be welcome...

3. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

I have experienced some similar symptoms (but not exact). What I can tell you with absolute certainty that it is quite common for things to get worse before it gets better. All that burried stuff was repressed for reasons digging it up will bring the emotions that were being avoided. When I first learned it was even possible to have an "emotional component" to physical symptoms I consulted a psychologist friend to verify if the theory even had any validity. I received confirmation the theory was valid, a recommendation for a psychoanalyst I could contact for support, and a very honest and compassionate warning that it would likely get worse before it got better. Incidentally I got that same warning from the recommended psychoanalyst and the 2 had never actually met.

4. PeterO

PeterO Peer Supporter

it seems sometimes that

...inside every hole is another hole....

and
    somedays we can only but hang on.

but the key is, at the same time, hold onto
    any exception; one clear moment, a happy
    thought, a shared on-line experience,
    an inner revelation, a forgotten truth.

one+another=another one

and so it goes.....

Leslie likes this.
  5. clive

clive New Member

Thanks for the responses :)

6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Tension can fuel TMS, therefore finding ways to reduce tension and stress can go a long way to recovering. If you find a particular activity to be overwhelming and emotionally activating, you may want to change what you are doing. While TMS is caused by repressed emotions, you do not need to uncover these emotions. Most likely, you won't be able to because they are deeply repressed. More important than rooting around your past and digging into your emotions is to accept that your symptoms are benign and overcome your fear of them. Most of the TMS distraction involves worrying about your symptoms, when they will come next, and what you will not be able to do when they come. By accepting that your symptoms are benign, you will not need to ruminate over these things. Instead you can begin to increase physical activity and start living your life again. Remember, knowledge is the cure to this condition for a reason.

Solange likes this.
  7. LauriK

LauriK Peer Supporter

For me the journaling and thinking about repressed emotions has not been that helpful to be honest. But telling myself that the pain I feel is nothing serious has been much more helpful. My biggest problem right now is my fear and anticipation of pain. This is what I'm struggling with. I might stand up and feel no pain but then I think hey where's my pain gone or just now I'm going to feel pain and there it is. I'm concentrating my work there trying to remind myself that pain free is actually the default position.