1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with muscle strain induced sleep problems

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Stiffbreeze, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Stiffbreeze

Stiffbreeze Newcomer

My back gets tense when I have symptoms, and this results in huge muscle knots and potentially strains in my back (usually the upper back) that make it very difficult to sleep.

I'm pretty sure that these strains actually are a structural issue that arises from the non-structural tension, and once this happens, I think I really do need to treat it physically rather than mentally. I'm curious if anyone else gets problems like this?

In particular, these things make it hard for me to sleep. I can only get a few hours at a time because of the pain of muscle knots/strains, and it makes it very hard to sleep. If anyone has advice for getting better rest during this I'd appreciate it.

2. jennyc19

jennyc19 New Member

what’s helped me tremendously in resting better and even falling asleep is meditation. I specifically use the Headspace app and there is a section on sleep that does wonders for me. Maybe it would help you.

TG957 likes this.
  3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Muscle spasms, knots, cramps are most likely TMS. I had a severe form of it, dystonia, when muscles would not release at all. I completely healed by using TMS approach.

Jeather, jennyc19 and Dorado like this.
  4. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Your symptoms are not uncommon in TMS/the mind-body connection. I’m not a healthcare professional and cannot diagnose anyone, but I can tell you that people have eliminated such symptoms through mind-body work. What makes you so sure it’s structural?

Jeather likes this.
  5. Stiffbreeze

Stiffbreeze Newcomer

So I guess I don't know. To me it feels like the initial tension is caused from TMS, and that tension passes a threshold where now the physical muscle is injured and regardless of what I do, it just needs a few days to heal up. I'm not sure that is correct, but it feels that way.

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Okay, @Stiffbreeze, are you ready yet to maybe laugh at yourself a bit? Because I really have to tell you that this is pretty laughably weak!

And I hope it goes without saying: been there, done that ;)

Stiffbreeze likes this.
  7. Stiffbreeze

Stiffbreeze Newcomer

Hahaha :D

You may be right. It's...really hard to give up the belief though. I assume this just requires me to do the things that I don't think I should do if I'm injured, and see that my back can handle it no problem, and then do that repeatedly as I gain confidence.

8. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Unless you have a GOOD reason to think you have an injury, that's right - this is what you've got to do. Our bodies were designed to heal, after all.

TG957 and jennyc19 like this.
  9. Stiffbreeze

Stiffbreeze Newcomer

@JanAtheCPA woohoo! Despite my back feeling "injured", I forced myself to go for a run yesterday for the first time in far too long. Handled it like a champ, and the back hurts less today than yesterday. Thanks for the push.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  10. TG957

Congratulations! Hiking in the mountains is how I healed my back pain, after being told that I should avoid putting any pressure on my hip. I took up running 5 years ago, it is even a better medicine for back pain than hiking!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    JanAtheCPA likes this.
  11. jimmylaw9

jimmylaw9 Peer Supporter

TG read your book. Funny I googled dystonia cure and said there isn’t one. So I’m glad you got the cute which brings me to my issue which is My back has been in 24/7 mild contraction in am through to searing pain when working as if it were about to snap. Feet burning 24/7 now. All work ups neg. I feel there is no cure. But reading your book I think it has to be TMS. Nothing would last that long. Last week was stripping wallpaper n next day felt groin pain still have it. Again I think is it or is it TMS. I hate docs now n sill not go unless my arm is falling off. Just wondered your thoughts I believe all are TMS following severe life stressors constant over last two years. Yes or no ?

12. TG957

Jimmy, since you read my book, you know that I had been in the same agony, searching for hope and feeling that there was no cure. I know now that cure, if you define it as a magic pill that works overnight, does not exist. But what exists is healing. It is different from cure, because it comes from within, and because it comes from within, it is more powerful.

Judging by your symptoms and how they appear randomly in your body, it is TMS. Without digging deeper, I can't tell whether your symptoms fit the Budapest Protocol for CRPS, no would I dare to claim that I can diagnose you - I am not a doctor. But the combination of neuropathic pain and dystonia may as well indicate just that. CRPS is probably one of the most complex and difficult categories of chronic pain, but there is hope. I cannot predict whether you can heal on your own without help from TMS practitioners or you would need help, but it is important for you to know that without looking inwards and working through their own emotional issues and stresses you have experienced, nobody can beat a prolong severe chronic pain.

Not all the doctors are the same. Dr. Schubiner, frequently mentioned on this forum, is a TMS doctor who works with CRPS patients, and the one I would certainly recommend, although I was never his patient. There is Dr. Gietzen, also listed on the TMS Wiki who I actually saw as a patient and who I can recommend in that capacity.

Finally, this is what I firmly believe: dystonia is caused by stress and overload of the nervous system. It was much harder for me to beat dystonia than the pain itself. My pain was down to very tolerable levels within 8-10 months, but it took me another year to get rid of dystonia. Be patient, don't be afraid to deal with your emotions, as hard as it is - and you have a chance!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  13. jimmylaw9

jimmylaw9 Peer Supporter

Thanks for your views. Great book.

Re docs it was General Practitioners not TMS docs they are exceptions! Actually exceptional given all the resistance they get from peers.

I love the fact that you have done something that they say can’t be done. In fact you read so many success stories about people doing that here it’s what keeps me going.

I truly believe that my aches and pain are all TMS brought on by chronic stress. It’s good to hear your opinion. I’m doing all the usual journo meditating etc but refusing to go on pres meds as they make me tired. I think it’s that battle without meds that’s taking it’s toll.

it’s weird how most people understand stress gives you headache but when it comes to chronic back pain foot neuropathy it’s more difficult to accept that it’s not stress.

Anyway thanks for replying I had way to many stressors on last year which have now subsided so working full time on recovery.

14. TG957

Yes, it had puzzled me all along. It is totally illogical.

As for the meds, as long as you don't get on opioids, taking painkillers every once in a while may be better than putting yourself through misery. Best of luck to you, and feel free to ask questions!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  15. Jeather

Jeather Peer Supporter

It's amazing how TMS can feel like an injury. A bad one. And yet not be. It makes no sense for pain to appear and disappear (ie. especially at night when the body is more relaxed) if it's an injury. And my issues have often been worse at night. I read from a TMS coach that, regarding back pain, unless you just fell off a building (or the equivalent in acute blunt trauma), your spine is strong and will heal.

TG957 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  16. TG957

Yes. Now check out CRPS, with pain levels worse than of childbirth, with swelling, skin and bone changes, muscle wasting, permanent muscle spasms etc. - all TMS. We have people on the forum who had clinically confirmed bone changes from CRPS and who healed completely.

JanAtheCPA, Jeather and jimmylaw9 like this.