1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Daniel L. Deadlines and pressure

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Scouser, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Scouser

Scouser New Member

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Deadlines, what is a healthy compromise ?

I'm having problems with this, I'm aware I put all kinds of pressure on myself to meet my self imposed deadlines. I think this is linked to lots of other issues from my past.

Also if I didn't have a deadline my projects could go on forever. Let me explain in my spare time I write compose and arrange music and it can be quite easy to go on forever with a project, because when one is a "perfectionist" I can always say if I just do this or do that I could improve upon it.

I realise this seems a pretty insignificant problem, but instinctively I feel this is playing a part in my TMS I have wrestled with this idea and ways to find a happy medium, but so far can't find a solution..

Any ideas ?

2. Daniel G Lyman LCSW

Daniel G Lyman LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Great question. I know it’s difficult to find a happy medium when the way you’ve lived your life is to put pressure on yourself to achieve goals, but you want to decrease that pressure so that you feel better about yourself.

I think the trick lies in asking yourself how the pressure you put on yourself feels. Ask yourself, “Does this pressure feel good?” If the answer from your gut is a resounding “NO,” then you have your answer. 99.9% of the time people say that putting pressure on themselves doesn’t feel good. So what do you do at that point?

Many of my clients are worried that if they don’t put pressure on themselves that they won’t be productive. I don’t believe that’s true. If you don’t put any pressure on yourself to achieve a goal, you might find that you innately WANT to work towards a goal. When you find that you want to work toward a goal, it’s not putting pressure on yourself, but rather something that feels good.

Here’s the simplified version: Somewhere along the line you learned that pressure is the only way to achieve, but that's a fallacy. You can achieve goals in a timely manner without putting pressure on yourself – it’s all in how you look at it.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Forest like this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree with Daniel Lyman. I'm a perfectionist and work for a super perfectionist book publisher.
    He'd eat me alive if I let him, with all the work he loads onto me. I've learned that if I work half as hard as I do,
    I still do more than most people. So I've learned to pace myself. It's the only way, or I'd go nertz from him.