1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Day Damn One

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by TheKingAdRock, Apr 9, 2016.

1. TheKingAdRock

TheKingAdRock New Member

Feelings about the 20/20 segment.
    nothing much to say on that other than I have seen it before. It is reassuring to see other people have success with Dr. Sarno's teachings.

I began dealing with chronic pain in the summer of 2013 and actually bought sarno's book 'healing back pain' for my kindle but never actually read it until the beginning of this year, 2016. during that period I tried all the standard treatments with no real success.

Before I read the book I was so fed up with all the diagnosis I'd received and the fact that I never even got a clear diagnosis from anyone. I was fed up with always being 'careful' and doing all those useless stretches and exercises. I was tired of constantly living in fear and was beginning to feel like all the structural diagnosis were complete bullshit!

I started with reading the book 'healing back pain' and then read 'the mindbody prescription'. I have had a good amount of success from trying to apply the teachings on my own, although I am still far from being totally cured and feeling totally unrestricted. I have started lifting weights again and going on long walks. I have started playing and wrestling with my dogs again, something I haven't done in a long time. I have had several flair ups of pain but I have been able to overcome them a lot quicker than I have in the past.

I feel confident that my pain is caused by TMS and not a structural problem or injury but I do have some doubts that come and go. a lot of 'what if (insert structural problem) is actually the cause' but I remind myself of the evidence against that, which is strong. I think a big accomplishment is starting to get over the fear of the pain, but some fear does still persist.

Question to ponder. what would life without TMS mean to me?
    hmmm well honestly it would mean everything. it would mean my life would feel like it's worth living. it would mean I could do anything and everything I want to do. I wouldn't have to sacrifice activities and things I love doing. it would mean I wouldn't live in fear wondering when the next attach of pain is going to come on.

Janine28 and Jacqui9 like this.
  2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Welcome, King. Sounds like Sarno's ideas resonated with you. I'm glad to see that you found your way to the SEP. After completing it, I found that I DID get my life back.
    Blessings on the journey.

Lunarlass66 likes this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome TheKingAdRock'

I am happy that you've already had significant success on your own. I hope the SEP program really supports your deepening trust in your diagnosis of TMS. Fear of pain is a long term demon to work with, so go gentle on yourself, and know that by increasing your activity, and engaging in a deeper level of Dr. Sarno's work, you are going to get a deeper level of support for your healing. No need to demand too much from the program, or yourself. Just steady as she goes...

Andy B

4. Sean

Sean New Member

1. it would mean my life would feel like it's worth living. it would mean I could do anything and everything I want to do. I wouldn't have to sacrifice activities and things I love doing. it would mean I wouldn't live in fear wondering when the next attach of pain is going to come on.[/QUOTE]
    Hi Andy B
    I understand completely...its like returning to a person you used to be...as any say...believe it makes a difference...something changed for us all and this approach forces us to find a better way to deal with it...not through TMS...this approach does work...go for it;)

5. TheKingAdRock

TheKingAdRock New Member

thank you all for the replies and encouraging words!

so Saturday when I made this thread I was actually having a pretty bad flair up of TMS pain in my lower back. it had came on suddenly that same day and at first I was really letting it get to my head. I felt frustrated! I had planned to do a workout at home that I was really looking forward to. I put the workout on hold thinking I'd probably skip it all together. but instead I started the structured educational program and reviewed some things on the TMS recovery section.

anyways I ended up doing my workout and tried to apply some of the things I have read/heard. I tried to let go of the fear and frustration of the pain. as the workout went on the pain was less and less but still certainly there. when I woke up sunday morning the pain was 90% gone! today is Monday and the pain was completely gone when I woke up. I worked out at the gym and plan to walk my dog later.