1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 Day 8

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Kim Mc, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Kim Mc

Kim Mc Peer Supporter

Good morning-
    When I look back on the past week, this program and your support really proved to be pretty amazing. I faced an old emotional as well as a physical fear--thank you Eric, for the Claire Weekes audios--I am now comfortable posting on this website and, drum roll pls...I walked on the treadmill for 5 minutes, twice. I haven't done that for 6 years. I guess I was waiting for my knees to feel perfect which was just keeping me in the same psychological/physical cycle. It was a bit uncomfortable but I'm still moving! Thank you, thank you, thank you-what a learning experience it has been so far. The question to ponder for day 8 is about the connection between emotion and my symptoms. Since the beginning of my process, I have used affirmations from Louise Hay whenever I experience a physical symptom and have come to see her probable causes and corresponding new thought patterns as my personal truths-they are now intertwined with the old "programs". When my knees start to feel full or inflamed I think-"Have I been inflexible lately? what do ya know-I have". Or if I get my old right side stiff neck headache I'll ask myself, "Hmm-who have I just judged? me, someone else?" I know that for me, anger is the underlying emotion for both behaviors. Her affirmations are always right on the money but I suppose that could all be learned just like the symptoms. Would it be in my best interest to unpack all of that and start over to make sure that the emotions that I think are connected to my symptoms are authentically mine?--perhaps. 5 or 10 years ago that thought would have unleashed an avalanche of anxiety triggering who knows what physical symptoms. My response to that thought now is, "I guess we'll see-more will be revealed". That in itself feels like a miracle. I know after the past week that what is paramount for me today is to FEEL, one day at a time, one emotion at a time. I know my body has slowed me down to learn to do just that. If I was on a typically harried schedule I may not have time to sit down and whip out my journal or do a round of tapping whenever I feel a pain coming on or a knee going out. I also doubt I would have ever heard Eckhart Tolle's story about the geese floating peacefully on the pond, swimming into each others space, angrily flapping their wings and then going about their business. Unconscious-it's our time to learn how to flap our wings, let that ancient stuff go and move on. Thank you again and have a great day.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Kim Mc,
    It's good to hear your progress and insights along the way as you work on the SEP. Personally, I think the answer to your question 'Would it be in my best interest....to make sure that the emotions that I think are connected to my symptoms are authentically mine?' is 'Yes'. I think our unconscious brains work in very individualized and sometimes seemingly illogical ways. What may be a logical connection between symptom and repressed emotion for one person, may not hold true for another. I think it is preferable to find your own connections, if for no other reason than you may question the connection less. In my opinion, it is the certainty of the connection between symptom and repressed emotion that is key to healing.

Wishing you the best, and I look forward to reading of your continued progress.

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I also really enjoy Eckhart Tolle and have read his books a few times, plus listen to the audio books frequently. I placed a review on the Books, etc sub-forum of an audio recording of one of his seminars called the Art of Presence. I especially like this recording because he uses a lot of humor throughout it.

4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I love Ellens response but I wouldn't swerve from what Hayes teaches. That woman is pretty awesome ya know. I believe what you mean is -- is it safe to look for more emotions and what they mean, as the same thing Ellen means. Its like this, keep all the Louise Haye knowledge you have. That inflexible emotion of your knee could show you the repressed emotion when you start to think now what am I inflexible about. See then all of the sudden you'll remember something you've been pressuring yourself about and you'll have it.

You'll see how everything goes together as you start to realize the pressures you are putting on your self unaware.
    That's the repression -- we often know were doing it too but often ignore what we know we need to fix.
    Think on these things and let me know what you think.
    Bless You

5. Kim Mc

Kim Mc Peer Supporter

thank you both so much for your opinions and insight. Knowing that it would be challenging for me to actually forget the Louise Hay information at this point I did try today, when a symptom came up, to go to the source, or go underneath my thoughts about it. It opened up a whole new realm of emotion, specifically about shame and loneliness, some of which I could track back to 4-6 year old me. It was pretty painful but not as painful as the physical stuff. It really is so amazing to be able too discuss these issues with people that understand. Thank you again and enjoy your weekend. On to Day 9 :)

Ellen and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Ellen's advice really helped you see a new dimension in what your able to do Kim MC -- That's the whole kit and caboodle here. Keep what works and then add to it. Often we will have limiting belief systems that are just not into mixing styles and such but when you do you will continue to enjoy the ride.
    Thanks Kim MC - Thanks Ellen.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Kim, it's great that you were able to look into your shame and loneliness going back to your girlhood.
    I hope you resolve those issues so you can forgive those who caused the emotions
    and forgive yourself, too. Then let go of them and be happy. We can lift ourselves up with just some
    affirmations... "I feel good." "I am happy!" And try laughing the bad emotions and anxiety away.