1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by calilady13, Jun 6, 2016.

1. calilady13

calilady13 New Member

Hi everyone,

I just read Peg Hanson's story and found it so inspirational. It's the success stories from other TMS sufferers that I find the most helpful while I am on this journey. One thing she says in her post is: "I have had occasional episodes of some discomfort over the years (during stressful times) but now I know how to address it and can make it go away pretty easily."

I have heard similar comments from other TMSers and I wonder if anyone would want to share how they address the TMS symptoms when they flare up, what are some ways you have been able to "make it go away".

I'll share a few of mine:
    1. Space: I try not to over react when I am experiencing pain. I breathe, give it some time even if it feels like I need to get better fast. I avoid putting that pressure on it.
    2. Relaxation response mediation technique that Walt shared with me here: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/help-severe-lower-back-spasms…can-barely-walk.12705/#post-66838 (Help! Severe lower back spasms…can barely walk)
    3. Take care of myself: if I need pain killers, I take them. I take a bath, nurture myself, get a massage, whatever helps my body relax and rejuvenate.
    4. Talk to a friend: vent and express all of my fears to someone I trust
    5. Move: I go for a walk, do yoga
    6. Journal

Janine28 likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, calilady. I like your list of favorite things. They are all so great for feeling good. I love to walk my dog.

I also look at my favorite photos of people I love. And I watch Youtube videos of relaxation and tranquil scenery.

calilady13 likes this.
  3. calilady13

calilady13 New Member

Thanks Walt, great ideas about photos and videos. Someday I hope I can add walking my dog to this list. Right now he's a fearful puppy and a ton of work. A huge reason why I am so stressed out right now! :)

4. Janine28

Janine28 Peer Supporter

Hi Calilady,
    Thanks for sharing these thoughts about flare ups. I completed the SEP a few weeks ago and all is going relatively well. When I experience flareups, I go straight to my emotions and ask, what's going on for me emotionally. Usually tapping into my emotions eases the pain. I also learned from from members of this group to let my subconscious know that I can handle these stresses and my subconscious no longer needs to protect me from my pain. I thank it for it's years of service! Another helpful lesson has been talking with my inner child and finding out how she feels, then letting her know that all is well.

Best wishes to you on your journey!
    Janine