1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 - Most Disheartening Thing Said

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by WantToBelieve, Mar 19, 2015.

1. WantToBelieve

WantToBelieve Peer Supporter

The most disheartening thing that was said to me was said over and over and over again. Each and everytime I visited a new doctor, chiro, PT, accupuncturist, massage therapist, surgeon, orthopedic, podiatrist, neurologist...they all said the same thing, "I KNOW what's wrong with you and I CAN FIX YOU'. And lo and behold, it was always so amazing to me that what was causing my pain, just so happened to be what they specialized in! Seriously, one super uncredible neurologist spent 20 minutes telling me all about how he's trying to get published for figuring out a new area where the posterior tibial nerve can become entrapped. How Mayo Clinic isn't even doing his kind of ground-breaking work. Then he does a nerve test (EMG/NCV) which I've had done 5 times at this point (one at Mayo clinic) and what do you know, my EMG/NCV is positive AND he strongly believes it's due to the nerve he is researching being entrapped at the area he is researching!! Really??!!! Seriously?!

At first it gave me hope to have someone so confidently tell me they know what is wrong with me, but after 10 years of that, I realized if you go to a surgeon, you can expect him to prescribe surgery. If you go to a podiatrist you can expect stretches, orthotics and the like. I'm glad they are so confident in their abilities but sad that they can't see the bigger picture!

I've become very jaded and disheartened when it comes to all doctors. I just don't believe most of them anymore.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I have the same skepticism about doctors and other "traditional"health practitioners.

Different doctors have told me I have cancerous growths on my neck and were
    scheduling surgery. I insisted that a culture be taken first, and after a lot of insisting, they did what I asked,
    and found no cancer, just a small water blister. That went away and I avoided neck surgery.

I am a firm total believer now in TMS and am a much healthier, happier person.

WantToBelieve likes this.