1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 26 Day 26

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by browndogisinthehouse, May 5, 2016.

1. browndogisinthehouse

browndogisinthehouse Peer Supporter

When was the last time you talked with your parents? How did the conversation go? If you feel comfortable sharing, then post your response in a thread in our Structured Program forum. We would love to hear from you.

I speak with my parents once in a few days on telephone. If usually a 30 seconds to 1 minute conversation where they ask about myself and then I responded to the same and that's about it. They are pretty old and hard of hearing so long conversations are anyway difficult to have.

I wonder why this question is added in the structured educational program. Is it to determine if the current relationship with family and childhood emotions events are causing the current symptoms

2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hey, browndog. because TMS is caused by repressed emotions, it makes sense to explore the relationships we have with our parents. Some people may uncover feelings that they need to process in order to heal.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, Gigi has it right. Relationships with our parents are often the cause of emotional stress and pain. Browndog, be patient with your elderly parents. They're being hard of hearing doesn't help. Be friendly and cheerful and kind to them.
    At least they're not complaining to you about something personal involving you.

Before my mother died at age 94, I would talk to her on the phone and she always spent most of the time telling me about the color and consistency of her morning bowel movement. I used to hate hearing that, but now that I am a senior age 85 I know how important that is.

Many times, when problems arise with our parents, if we put ourselves in their shoes and see life through their eyes, we can understand them better and forgive them for our differences or difficulties.