1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 18 - re-thinking pressure.

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by CookStar, Feb 17, 2016.

1. CookStar

CookStar New Member

Still going strong in the structured education program.
    I have a thought on pressure and anxiety.
    I have come to believe that pressure triggers all sorts of anxiety inside me and causes TMS symptoms. I've been very successful dealing with past emotional trauma and removing fear and concern, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to train yourself not to become anxious with pressure.
    I find myself "manufacturing" anxiety. Almost like I need it to function. Whether it's not getting to a place on time, traffic, waiting in line. All of these benign things trigger anxiety in me. How do you successfully ignore pressure?

2. Stella

Stella Well known member

Your awareness is huge. I have this issue too occurring now. I have got myself over committed, over scheduled and not able to sat NO. If I am running late and rushing my symptoms increase. If I know ahead of time a request is coming i can prepare my No answer. I have to manage myself.

After participating in this program I have learned to place myself as a priority which I do but I have my husband needing my time, my Mother needing my time, family needing my time, my awesome friends needing my time. I keep running faster on the treadmill. And it increases my symptoms.

Diaphragmatic breathing helps me. Meditation helps me. Exercise helps me. Learning to say No. Just slowing down.

3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi Cookstar! Stella gave you great advice.
    I have learned to be protective of my time. Saying "no" is huge.
    But when my subC tries to send stress-related pain my way, I talk to it. Either I yell at it and tell it such actions are not productive, and to let me feel the feelings. Or I tell it that I know it's trying to protect me but that I'd rather delve into the underlying issues.
    It's a process. Sometimes one approach works, sometimes another. But the SEP is a good way to acquire some great tools for your toolbox!
    Blessings.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Cookstar, You've gotten great replies from Stella and Gigi and I can only echo them. Deep breathing, living in the present, and laughing are my three best ways to avoid emotional pressure and anxiety. Keep reminding yourself your symptoms are not fatal, just life's glitches and they go away.