1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 15...symptoms nearly toppled.

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by CookStar, Feb 12, 2016.

1. CookStar

CookStar New Member

It's been about four weeks since I first learned about TMS.
    I've read Healing Back Pain twice.
    Listened to the audiobook versions of The Divided Mind and The Mindbody Prescription.

The first week of the structured program saw the pain shift, get better, then get worse at times. All in all, it revealed itself to be very inconsistent. On week 2 I was able to remove fear and begin to start practising the art of ignoring the pain.

Now on Day 15 I have no more problems sitting on a chair, or driving long stretches, or even sleeping in peace. I am no longer bent over to the left side and afraid to put weight on my leg. I stand up straight and I can bend over and pick things up. It's almost been like re-learning how to move again.

I still get tiny twinges of the old pain. Almost out of habit - or a learned programming. Mostly it's if I'm lying down for a while, when I shift to standing, a slight dull numbness or pain. It's really nothing though, especially when compared to me literally crawling to the bathroom just twi weeks ago.

My general demeanour is much more pleasant. I catch myself now anytime anxiety or pressure starts to creep in, (usually while waiting in traffic, or in line at the grocery store).

I am so thrilled I found this structured program. I have my 2nd boy arriving in mid-April and a month ago I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to hold him or be any help to my spouse. Now I have set my goal to go for run next week, and get back to coaching hockey this weekend.

I am going to continue with the program to reach the end, and am confident it will resolve the tiny remnants of symptoms that remain. (they are very mild discomforts - and not in any way comparable to the excruciating pain I experienced throughout December and January). I am also going to test this treatment on my allergies this autumn.

I have tried to get my mom researching TMS, as I am now convinced it runs in my family. That the whole family was programmed to repress emotions. My aunt has fibromyalgia, and my mom was told she needs a knee replacement and has plantar fasciitis. She has never gone running or done anything to injure knee or foot, so I am convinced its TMS. But I also realize that the person has to be open to the diagnoses, and I'm afraid they are not. Even though they have literally witnessed my own transformation from being on the floor with a broken back, to healing myself.

Lavender, ElizabethG and beckyMA like this.
  2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Wow, Cookstar! Those are astounding results! I'm delighted to hear of your progress!
    Yes, I think TMS definitely runs in families. And even though your relatives may be open to hearing about your success, it's ultimately up to them to decide whether TMSERS applies to them. It can be so difficult NOT to preach to others, but perhaps modeling what you've learned in the program might yield better results.

I have three siblings, and we were all raised to be overachievers. I see a lot of compulsive behaviors, and a lot of poor health. After I experienced dramatic pain relief when working the SEP, I wanted to shout it from the rooftops. But knowing them as I do, I settled for a brief explanation and let them know where they could find out more if they were interested. Apparently they aren't interested. It makes me sad, but they have to accept it on their own.

3. ElizabethG

ElizabethG Peer Supporter

Wow Cookstar! Such an encouraging post. I'm so glad you are doing so well. I hear you about the family as well and I agree with Gigi. It's hard to see them suffer when you feel like you have the answer. I'm going to keep applying the principles and maybe someday they will be open. Besides just the physical benefits, I already have so much more peace and joy from going through the SEP program. I think that will become noticeable too.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hooray, Cooksstar. Congrats on the recovering. You are doing fantastic. It does sound like TMS runs in your family, everyone putting so much pressure on themselves to repress their emotions. I'm glad the SEProgram is helping you modify that so you express yourself better, especially to yourself. Gigi and Elizabeth gave you great replies and I echo them. Have a wonderful Valentine's Day today! Hope you get some hugs and give them.

5. MellieV

MellieV Peer Supporter

Congrats, Cookstar! On the recovery and on the upcoming arrival of your little boy in April. You are so brave with the goals you have set with running and coaching already. I have started think of goals myself, but my recovery is going a bit slower. Slow and steady is OK with me!
    I hope you have luck with your family recognizing TMS as possibility. I bet it would be great to share a journey and have support from close family members.
    Love hearing from you. Keep it up!