1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by jlala, Apr 17, 2014.

1. jlala

jlala New Member

Hello! I am brand new.... embarking on a journey that I hope will help me better understand all of the pain syndromes I have experienced in my life. I recently had some injections in my facial area..... dermal filler. This set off a reaction in my head that had me anxious and worried and CONVINCED that I did terrible damage to a nerve in my face. I had an MRI, and saw multiple doctors. Everyone (even medical doctors) agrees that I am having a traumatic reaction to the injections. The pain I feel is real -- pain in my head, neck, shoulders and teeth -- especially where I don't even have roots! I have pain at the injection site which is unheard of. I am also having a difficult time swallowing. Worries and fears about sinus issues started this chain of events. At any rate, I do now believe I am suffering from TMS. The pain is now in my throat, and the back of my neck. I am having a tough time swallowing at times and even feel pain behind my eyes. I feel as though touching and massaging one area of my face, neck or scalp moves the pain to a different area of my head. It's just so strange and very annoying!

In the past, I have had periods where I have had bladder irritation and also pain in my arms and legs. Both episodes lasted several months. I worried and worried about the pain and stopped participating in life until I eventually realized there really was nothing serious wrong with me. It took a long time for me to feel convinced -- and lots of medical tests as well.

So here I am again, with a brand new area of the body on which to focus. I understand how anxious I can be and, on an intellectual level, what is going on. Nevertheless, I can't seem to stop the pain. So that's my story. Oh, and I am in the helping profession where I counsel 30-40 people per week. I have had quite a difficult winter, dealing with family issues. I guess I don't pay a lot of attention to my own feelings as I am usually tending to the way others feel.

samantha likes this.
  2. jlala

jlala New Member

Also, has anyone else experienced this type of pain? Do you think it will ever go away? It's been six weeks. :-(

3. samantha

samantha Peer Supporter

Welcome! I am on day 33 in my recovery. The program works very well not only for pain relief, but also for self-awareness. A very helpful book that I read, along with the articles here is: "Pain Free for Life", by Scott Brady, MD. Looking forward to hearing about your journey!

4. jlala

jlala New Member

Thank you for your support, Samantha. I have had a lot of therapy in the past but I think I need to focus on my issues on a daily basis.... not just once a week. I appreciate your input and I am looking forward to this journey!

samantha likes this.