1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by tamarajay, Oct 1, 2018.

1. tamarajay

tamarajay Newcomer

Day 1. My story. I've been experiencing increasing back pain for the past 4 years. What started as a little tightness has become a constant companion. The worse it gets, the more I think and worry about it. I read Dr. Sarno's book in May and cried before I'd finished the introduction. I read myself on every page. I then read The Great Pain Deception. Again, the book described me to a T. Since reading the books, my pain has actually intensified and spread to different areas. Just knowing about TMS isn't enough for me. I've got to take action than I have and commit to my recovery. I'm still ensnared in the pain strategy employed by my subconscious. It's totally working. Looking back, I see that I've had TMS symptoms my whole life - ibs, vertigo, headaches, shoulder aches, tingling - and didn't know it. The symptoms have come and gone. The onset of the back pain coincides with me deciding to leave my teaching job. Since then, a great struggle has been going on inside. Instead of enjoying my time, I feel guilty about not "working" and have been disappearing myself, questioning my value and worth and who I am if I am not a teacher or mother. At the same time, I resist taking action on what to do next. Of course, I've been keeping this all inside, not sharing it with family or friends, as I feel ashamed and scared to talk about it. I feel stuck.

2. Snowman

Snowman Peer Supporter

Hope this helps ..... I know this goes against all tms. But use an ice pack for 15mins then heat for another 15mins ....
    Listen to what your heart tells you..

3. HattieNC

HattieNC Well known member

Hi Tamarajay,
    You've come to the right place. You won't find judgement on this forum because the folks here have been in (or are still in) your shoes. Please don't feel ashamed or guilty. You are doing the best you can. Sharing your thoughts here will not be scary and you won't feel alone. There is kindness, support, and tons of invaluable information on this Wiki. Welcome!