1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Cymbalta

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

It's been brutal my TMS Dr sees I am really getting mentally unhinged and wants to put me on Cymbalta to take the edge off ...my pain level is threw the roof and everyday I can't take it anymore a human being only as so much resolve I been dealing for 7 years with no improvement...but with that said I know it tms and I know my loneliness and fear are the ones that cause it all..even though I am changing they way I am reacting to these events I am running out of patients and energy..

I ignored it yelled talked journaled mediated ( that's was a was of time).. went on with my day did all the tms road work and still nothing went in for another round of test nothing...fainted and went to hospital where I lost my voice for 24 hrs and I said ahaha you over played your hand ....did all test there MRI cat scan you name it ...all clean . I figured I had it on the run a week or so later I have been in crippling pain for the last month..

2. jaumeb

jaumeb Peer Supporter

I'm sorry you are going through this. I think that diet has helped me but it is by no means a quick fix. I feel it takes years to see improvement so I can't say to which extent it is the diet that is helping.

I am eating whole foods such as brown rice, lentils, ...

3. Boston Redsox

Been doing that for years...organic Whole Foods this goes beyond the food process ...

jaumeb likes this.
  4. jaumeb

jaumeb Peer Supporter

Right. I am sorry I cannot give you better answers. I will keep reading your posts and hope that little by little we can overcome that fear and loneliness that you mention.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  5. healingfromchronicpain

healingfromchronicpain Well known member

I've been dealing with my emotion/trauma-induced pain for over 11 years now. For the first two years I didn't know about mindbody stuff, but now I do. I've healed dramatically since I realized what was going on underneath the physical pain, but I still deal with daily pain/discomfort/limitations.

When I first read Sarno, it only slightly reduced some pain for a little while. It took me a long time of trying other things to really make a dent in my pain. For me, the most dramatic thing was mindbody-based myofascial release therapy by therapists trained by John F. Barnes. That's where I really discovered the direct link between my physical pain and my emotional stuff. My stuff was so buried and repressed, it took lying on a table and having my fascia reveal what it was hiding before my mind was able to get there.

As for diet, mentioned above, I changed my diet a year and a half ago and that helped me with my allergies, but not my pain. Of course I think it's good to eat a whole foods diet for general health anyway, but it sounds like you're doing that already.

I also talked to psychologists, but that didn't really have a direct impact on reducing my pain, but I think it did help me work through some of my emotional stuff that affects my pain. Note, I didn't see Sarno psychologists, so maybe that would have been better. I've also done EMDR (eye movement desensitization reprocessing), SE (Somatic Experiencing), and EFT (tapping). The EMDR and SE did help me bring down spikes in pain; the EFT didn't really do much for me.

Anyway, I guess my point is, sometimes we have to try different things to get to what's underlying our pain. I'm not sure if I responded to you before on something else, so sorry if I'm repeating myself, but if you're interested in seeing what I've tried and what has or hasn't worked for me personally, I've described it on my website (www.healingfromchronicpain.com). I also list many of the books and other resources I've personally found helpful during my journey.

I wish you the best of luck. I know fear and loneliness are hard ones to get through. For me, fear and shame have been some of the hardest nuts to crack and what I feel still holds me back. Sometimes it takes time for our bodies and our subconscious minds to catch up to our conscious minds. But relief is possible!

Oh, and as for Cymbalta, I tried that too. It made me throw up. I also tried Savella. It had a temporary effect (placebo?) at first, then wore off. I even tried it again later; it didn't help, but it gave me heart palpitations. So I stopped.

6. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

Cymbalta sent me to the ER in terrible pain. I had previously been on Paxil for anxiety so the hospital recommended trying it again. It took a long time but it finally helped. I am continuing to work with a TMS therapist, too. After a year, I have good days and pain does not control me. It's what I needed to continue to do the TMS work. I'm praying you find answers. I'm so sorry you have suffered for long. ☹️☹️☹️

7. donavanf

donavanf Well known member

As TMS sufferers, we are hard on ourselves. VERY hard. If you want to try Cymbalta, go for it. I take a small dose of Zoloft, and I also take a small nightly dose of Klonipin. I know I don't want to be on these medicines forever, but for now, as I heal my TMS, they are helping. My psychiatrist is very kind and he understands me, and knows that one day, I will wean off these meds. Don't be hard on yourself. For the record, I tried Cymbalta years ago for depression and it helped, when I retried it again, for pain, it left me with strange numbness and shooting electrical shocks. Sometimes, with meds, you need to experiment (under the guidance of a really good doc, I recommend a Psychiatrist who is at least open to Mind/Body syndromes, and "gets" your history.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  8. Boston Redsox

Thx you all..I have been on Paxil and Xanax....my pain is threw the roof but I continue to go on...but the last 36 hrs as put me in bed with the worse pain I had in years. I recenltey lost my business of 25 years due to contract negotions that went south...I felt like a huge failure, but i pulle dup my booth strings and found a great job at a major University suppose to start in 2 weeks.

But my pain as gotten so bad I cant leave house I force myself to take a walk ...just last wek I was swimming and running, my whole left side is burning and numb cant even walk right dont know what to do? I am trying to be a good soldier but I am getting shot to many times.

Then I was thinking to just blow the job off and take a few months off...physically if this kept up I could not perform my job at all.

jaumeb likes this.
  9. mouser

mouser Peer Supporter

I've had anxiety since my teens but wasn't treated for it til my 30s. Paxil was first and worked well to quiet my nerves. It also killed my sex drive and many other things I cared about. I eventually settled on 10 MG of Lexapro and that worked decently for years. My pain started 3 years ago and last Sept, my doc upped my lex to 20 mg because my pain and anxiety got worse. Eventually she suggested Cymbalta because it is also shown to help with pain. Not sure it's better, but I am not worse and the one usual side effect is still there. No sex drive.

I mentioned on another thread I recently got an RFA to quiet my sciatica which has gotten really bad this year. The effects lasted 1 week. It's supposed to last 9-18 months. I have a laundry list of ailments that come down to TMS. Makes total sense to me. I learned about it last Sept. I've read books and journaled and am twice as bad as I was in Sept.

jaumeb likes this.
  10. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Sorry to hear you're having a tough week. If you can take some time off between jobs it may be good for you if you can fill that time doing things that will make you feel better in your body and mind. Maybe a road-trip for some new scenery and activities.

What do your TMS doctor and TMS therapist advise you to do? Do they give you advice on how to function better on a daily basis or just listen? They see you closer then we can here so I'm wondering what they advise you to do.

11. Boston Redsox

Well my therpist is do whatever you feel you can do to be better ...if you can afford to not work for awhile that would be good for your mind and soul ..

My TMS Dr Coped a little attitude towards me because I decided to talk to phycitrist instead of him about going on a antidepressant ...I feel PCP have no business handing them out..

He tells me to change my life do what makes you happy all great in fairy tale land but in real life most of us are tied to our jobs and responsibilities .

Great advice if you can do it...today bad back pain ...I NEVER HAD BACK PAIN in 7 years of tms pain

12. Boston Redsox

Don't have TMS therpist just a regular therpist who gets tms and the whole mindbody approach

13. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

The thing is from your posts you are always in pain and anguish, the practitioners you are seeing aren't changing this, at least from what I'm hearing from this side of my lap-top screen. You would't keep taking your truck to the same mechanic for the same problem over and over and never having it fixed. My advice is to look at the TMS practitioners list here and interview some new "mechanics".

14. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Hi @Boston Redsox,

I won't provide advice but I will provide a few observations:

1. You are experiencing a true loss. You put your heart and soul into a business for 25 years. The death of the business is like the death of anything else. Perhaps it was a big part of your identity. You are grieving that loss. It will take time. See it as a death and maybe you'll be less hard on yourself. The fact you kept it alive for 25 years is amazing!

2. You feel lonely. You have a TMS community who cares deeply. You also have an opportunity to work
    at a university. It may be too soon or it may not. Schools are filled with new people and new ethusiasm. Maybe this fresh start can help you get out of bed in the morning. It gives you a mission everyday. You'll be forced to meet lots of new people.

You know all of the TMS stuff so I just thought I'd add my two cents without suggesting new resources ;).

We are all thinking of you and rooting for you!
    -AC45

15. Boston Redsox

Great idea but only 2 in my area and the second one stop taking patients .. honestly Tom I really find there approach any different than any western medicine dock ...my tms Dr is great and as brought me to full belief ...it's not the practitioners where the problem lies it's me

16. Boston Redsox

Thx all this as gone threw my mind and also was brought to my attention my family members ...the only issue is the physical demands of climbing ladders and being on roofs where I am afraid I can fall or get hurt

17. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Ok @Boston Redsox fair enough. Know that you are thought of by many. This community supports you. You are not alone :)

18. Boston Redsox

FEAR IS A BITCH

donavanf, jaumeb and AC45 like this.
  19. Boston Redsox

I tried few more mechanics and it must be the car

20. healingfromchronicpain

healingfromchronicpain Well known member

I know the feeling! But cars can be fixed! Sometimes we might just need a few new parts. In my case I think the new part I need is in the form of a new mindset to override very stubborn parts of my subconscious. Most stores don’t seem to carry this item.

I think the car that is me is an old model and it’s very hard to find the parts to fix it. But I trust that they’re out there somewhere! Or maybe I’ll just have to make new ones myself.
    Never give up is my mantra!

I see it’s been over a year since this thread started. How are you doing? Did you start the university job? Has your pain eased up?