1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

could tms be telling me to stop working out?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, Dec 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

lately ive reduced working out from 6 to 4 and now to 3 days (full body) and im having no motivation or drive to go to the gym and contantly have thoughts of stopping to workout and blah eat what i want and stop worrying about healthy foods or sleeping enought to recover. obviously all of this also puts stress in my body. contantly thinking i need food or sleep to recover or that “o snap i need to go to the gym x days of the week). could tms be telling me to stop working out or is it my body? i took 6 days off recently and i was going nuts wanting to go back but now im having this thoughts.

2. Tms_joe

Tms_joe Well known member

TMS is the pin you experience when emotions are constantly unpleasant. If this post is what plays out in your head constantly, then it is a cause of symptoms.

Being obsessive about exercise and nutrition I’m sure is a common thing with people with TMS. I’ve been there so many times. It sucks me in. My body would always present pain to EVENTUALLY get me to back off.

Funny thing is that a mich more moderate approach with less stress and worry has given better results. I think that’s something to do with the mind body connection.

Baseball65 likes this.
  3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Tms_joe just kinda nailed it.

Why do you feel that you need to work out so often? What are the motivations? I sensed from your comment on junk food that you are 'holding yourself up' to some sort of regime.

Being perfectionists we tend to get angry at anything that keeps us from that perfection...even our own periodic lack of interest. Fighting your body/minds natural rhythm of energy/respite/energy/respite can not only be a TMS causer but also a formula for other things... flu,colds,weird stuff. Deepak Chopra calls being sick 'western meditation'. I always remind my friends who PUSH that if they don't flow they'll get that meditation time whether they want it or not...and TMS definitely falls into that category. Eat those french fries!!!!

Sofa, MindBodyPT and Free of Fear like this.
  4. stevow7

good read. thanks a lot guys! and not only french fries, but pizza and hamburguers too!

Sofa likes this.
  5. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

Definitely in a similar boat. I'm having a Western meditation of my own right now, after pushing myself so hard these past two months getting back to work and exercising again. My girlfriend said I burned the candle from both ends.

Stevow, I've had a similar issue with an exercise regime I placed on myself. I'm having to back away and get my bearings. (I've been sick three times now in two months.)
    The question that helps me most is, Am I doing this to live a happier, healthier and more balanced life, or am I doing it because I think I HAVE to, for whatever reason (to look better, perform better, be stronger to avoid pain, etc.). Lately for me it has been the second, and it's just not working. Plus, when I do something because I think I *have* to, then I'm more likely to rebel, stay up late, eat processed foods. Doesn't work.

You taking a new approach?

stevow7 likes this.
  6. stevow7

hello! well my plan of action is actually trying to stop counting calories, enjoy the food i eat without thinking what i will eat next and basically dont see myself too much in the mirror. i still wanted to go more days to the gym but sadly i can't atm but i will.

Free of Fear likes this.
  7. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

I think that's awesome.

Good luck!

8. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Yeah, I think exercise and diet is fun and healthy to obsess about (to a point). There are much worse things you know! :)

But IME and IMO don't go off the deep end. Eat the cheeseburgers with bacon sometimes too. And no need to feel pressure to hit the gym every day . Listening to your body is key.