1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Coping With TMS alone

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by billiewells, Nov 12, 2015.

1. billiewells

billiewells Peer Supporter

I am living on my own in a rural environment. Are there others out there who can relate to the problems this creates?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I am 85 and chose to live alone at about the age of 40. I do have a dog I adore. If you work at home and can spend time with a dog day and night,
    I suggest you get one. They are fantastic companions. Some people prefer cats, but I am allergic to them.

I had roommates, and a few were good, but others were not, and I decided I liked living alone. I visit friends and relatives, but always like coming home to my quiet house and my dog. I live in a quiet suburb of Chicago but would like a rural environment even better.

If you are in need of company, consider doing some volunteer work, at a senior center, hospital, church, or animal shelter.

3. billiewells

I do have a dog and a cat, I have always had dogs. My mobility is so poor at present that I have a dog walker so far too immobile to volunteer. I have issues walking more than 100 yds and can't do stairs. This is why I have sought out TMS wiki to find a way out of this muddle

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I felt very isolated when I could hardly walk. I wouldn't even go to meet a friend for tea. I think this adds to the anxiety and depressive aspects of TMS.

I hope you can make some moves to have more social contact Billie, even if it is Skyping a friend, or using the phone. When I am isolated in my summer fire lookout job, my main contact with others is by phone, and I find it pretty satisfying.

5. billiewells

Thank you Andy , you definitely get the picture. Are you well now?

6. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, I had a very good recovery, and my pain is 98% gone. I still have that last 2% to distract me, but I try not to be a perfectionist about it! I was headed for surgery, and now I can put a 60lb backpack on and climb mountains. Honestly, I put that pack on this summer to climb to my fire lookout, and realized I had not carried that much in almost a decade. When I was in your shoes, I never thought it was possible. I was basically an invalid for most of three years. But Dr. Sarno's approach does work. I wish you the best support and progress.

7. billiewells

Thank you so much for that, it's been 3 years and just going TMS - s success story is priceless

8. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I think many of us can relate to feeling isolated, no matter where we live. My health issues has made me feel very lonely, for sure. I'm so happy I found this place, being able to reach out to people who knows what it's like to live with pain. We're in it together. I think there's healing in sharing your story and being met with understanding. Plus being able to hear stories like yours Andy; that's very important too... it gives us hope.

billiewells likes this.
  9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, everyone. I'm 85, live with my darling dog, and otherwise know what it is to feel alone. Family doesn't live near me but we keep in touch by phone and email and they visit every so often. Most of my best friends moved away or have died. But I keep busy with two online jobs and reading, watching old movies, and being active on this web site.

Andy, I think your work as a fire lookout is fabulous.

Billiewells, keep at TMS and you will be feeling great again soon.

Simplicity likes this.
  10. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi billiewells

Although I do not live in a rural community I can truly empathise with your situation. I am very isolated from family and my best friends who all live in another country. The people on my street vary from ones who will occasionally engage in small talk to those who cross the street to avoid contact. All this I'm sure you'll agree could open the floodgates for TMS symptoms if only I still feared them which I no longer do. However I fear loads of other things and that's not much better. Connecting with people through forums helps but it doesn't replace good old fashioned face-to-face contact. As you have limited opportunities you might like to join the online chat this or any other Saturday evening. It takes place for an hour UK time of 8-9pm.
    http://www.tmswiki.org/chat/

No need to suffer alone. No need to suffer at all. Best wishes.

11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, yb44. Great reply to billiewells. Hope she joins the Saturday evening TMS online chat.

I used to live on a city block on a deadend street where all the neighbor were friendly and we got together
    almost each evening after work to chat, many of us bringing our dogs. I had to move for various reasons and
    the block I am on now is more to itself. One next door neighbor likes to chat, but the one on the other side is the invisible man.

12. billiewells

That is a great idea thank you, shame I didn't check in to the thread soon enough