1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Cold weather got me like

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by timeofmylife, Mar 6, 2021.

1. timeofmylife

timeofmylife New Member

Hey all! Early on in my TMS journey ! Had a good reduction in symptoms in my first few weeks of learning about all of this.. ( I have had 15+ years of back issues specifically sacroiliac joint pain and spasms).

Today I went for a long walk with a friend. I was fine until we sat down and I tried to get back up... then bam! My back seized up. I could barely hobble home. It was really cold and I wondered if anyone finds their TMS flares in cold weather? If so... I am interested to know if it is it a conditioned response (people always say pains worsen in the cold weather) or does the cold make the oxygen deprivation worse?

Would love to hear any insights or experiences! Today was my worst day in a long while so I’m also wondering if I have got TMS scared and it’s fighting to hang around. I hope so!!

2. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

I think it's a bit of both. I hate cold weather except when I'm warm enough.

timeofmylife likes this.
  3. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Spasms can happen in any kind of weather, though I find cold weather uncomfortable in general.

timeofmylife likes this.
  4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I believe it's a conditioned response. Thinking psychologically is the key to recovery. In TMS it's your mind causing the pain, not external circumstances.

5. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Extinction bursts are very common. If you don't obsess on them, they go away.

timeofmylife likes this.