1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Chronic pharyngitis, tms?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by thecomputer, Dec 12, 2016.

1. thecomputer

thecomputer Well known member

Hi

I have posted my full story of voice and throat problems here in this forum.

Many of my voice and throat problems seem to be due to muscle tension, with nothing physically wrong with me.

But alongside this I have had chronic granular pharyngitis. Basically inflammation of the throat. I have red spots and lumps over the back of my throat and in all the folds where my tonsils used to be. I am having a flare up right now, and I spend all night in pain, unable to get relief as water doesn't really touch those parts, and it's so raw. This has been going on for 6 months.

Now aside from this I am on the verge of really accepting TMS could be tge reason for my other throat problems.

But could TMS cause pharyngitis? The doctors say it's common and there's little you can do about it, nothing to worry about apparently. But it's incredibly uncomfortable, and distressing

It's so much harder to believe it could be tms when I can see all the red spots and irritation, and it's been there for so many months.

Does anyone think it could be TMS?

Im feeling pretty lost right now with all this

2. RichieRich

RichieRich Well known member

robodelfy......when were your tonsils removed?

3. thecomputer

thecomputer Well known member

My tonsils were removed 5 months ago. The chronic granular pharyngitis was there before that. I don't know when it began but I noticed it at a similar time to my voice problems.

Any ideas? It's so hard to see these irritated bumps and rawness in my throat and believe it's TMS. But it's chronic, and there is no real cause, the doctors say I just have to live with it.

If it was not there, I would not have any trouble believing my other voice and throat problems were TMS!

If anyone can chip in, id love to hear what you think
    Thanks

4. RichieRich

RichieRich Well known member

Not that I can say I've had exactly what you're experiencing right now, I am prone to pharynx irritation from post nasal drip and the way I breath at night, and have had a super severe case of laryngitis/pharyngitis about 3 years ago that caused my voice to be weird for about 4 months. I've also had the throat tension that feels like a golfball in my trachea; that resolved itself with better anxiety management.

I'm no doctor, but I would say look at some of the lifestyle factors: If you drink or don't drink alcohol, do you gargle with alcohol based mouth wash or peroxide or alcohol-free wash, do you sleep under a fan at night, do you get a lot of dry mouth upon waking or throughout the day.

I noticed on one of your posts you mentioned acid reflux was ruled out, but do you consume orange juice or any acidic fruits(including tomatoes)? Some people don't have much of a tolerance for citric acid.

In an effort to subdue my own throat irritation, I've all but given up on fruit anything. If I feel throat discomfort at night, I'll pull a sheet over my head to create a more humid sleeping environment(this has done wonders with sinus dryness).

Above all though, you have to keep a level head about things. It will pass. I think doctors are too liberal with the term chronic.