1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 23 Can't shake my sympton

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mrk591, Apr 14, 2016.

1. mrk591

mrk591 New Member

Have been doing the program for more than a month. It has reduced my symptoms from pain in both arms. The pain is now concentrated in one of my hands (can be either). Sometimes, when I am relaxed especially if I wake up from a good sleep - I feel jut about pain free. But as soon as I "think" about it - the pain returns to one of my hands.
    I have been avoiding some guilt feelings. I did something really stupid/wrong and I can forgive myself at an intellectual level but don't know if I have fully deep down forgiven myself.
    I 100% believe my symptoms are psychologically caused. Just not sure if I am still punishing myself.
    Anyone have a similar experience?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi mrk591,

I have not directly experienced your situation, but wanted to say that since you know 100% that the symptoms are psychologically caused, you might simply use this awareness for the symptoms to subside. The fact they are continuing seems to trigger a feeling in you that you need to do more, and understand more. This may not be the case.

This can be an open ended, gentle inquiry. It sounds like part of you knows you're still punishing yourself. If so, how does your Inner Child feel? No need to make the guilt go away. How can you do that, really? The urge to make it go away only adds more pressure right now. In time, in attunement with yourself, it will go away with more understanding, and love. Meantime, you can connect your awareness of yourself with Dr. Sarno's theory, without having to be a certain way, internally. Just observe, connect the dots to explain symptoms. The main thing Dr. Sarno taught was to see the material that is being repressed, and the need for symptoms will subside, since they are only there to attempting to distract us. It seems you might be seeing the (or a) real root cause. I hope this might help you.

Andy B

3. Sean

Sean New Member

Hang in there...there seems to be progress!!!