1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Can this work for me too?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by gwithamission, Aug 18, 2021.

1. gwithamission

gwithamission Newcomer

A friend who had debilitating back pain encouraged me to check out the work of Dr. Sarno. I'm 3/4 of the way through Healing Back Pain and I see me on every single page. I believe without a doubt that my back pain has been caused by emotional distress. I had a bout of lower back pain years ago and when some life circumstances changed, I didn't have the pain again. Then, in January, I began getting a 'twinge' in my lower back - I was just it was from sitting so much. Simultaneously, I was going through what I found to be a very difficult situation at work that drove me to the brink of insanity! I was in severe emotional distress daily for months and in February my pain became so bad that I now feel I dedicate most of my life to trying to deal with it. I absolutely believe it is a distraction from difficult emotions. I absolutely possess the personality of a typical TMS-er.

I've tried chiro, acupuncture, herbs, PT, cortisone shots, no exercise, pills, and cranio-sacral therapy. Nothing has worked.

I hope this program can work for me. I'm scared that it won't, and I'm scared I'm still believing the pain's source is physical; I keep thinking my nervous system is at the root of this problem. I was so happy to find this structured program, as I feel a bit like, "well - where do I begin?"

ssxl4000 likes this.
  2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Most people take some time to truly get rid of that nagging doubt that the pain is physical. It sounds like you have been through the medical ringer, so I am sure you are in the right place. Good luck with the program!

3. fewjoram

fewjoram Peer Supporter

I am pretty sure it will work for you. Great things happen to those who don't stop believing, trying, learning, and being grateful. God speed!