1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can accident-prone-ness be TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by shannonstoney, May 29, 2023.

Tags:
  1. shannonstoney

shannonstoney New Member

I have been noticing that when I am upset about the way somebody has treated me, I frequently have an accident that causes some pain. I wonder if the body unconsciously "creates" accidents to distract you from unbearable emotional pain.

I have noticed this in other people as well: a friend's husband died, and two weeks later she fell in a bathroom and dislocated her shoulder. Another friend was abused and then divorced by his wife, and he had a terrible chainsaw accident that took months to recover from.

I was recently very angry with my abusive sister, and then a few days ago, I randomly fell down and broke my big toe, and it's pretty painful. I had several accidents when I was with an abusive partner, but after I left him, I was not accident-prone at all, for a decade, until this toe accident.

I wonder if anybody else has observed this.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I think you're on to something here. I can't think of any examples right now, but I'm going to give it some thought.

3. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Emotional pain and stress often distract us, indeed making us more prone to injuries. TMS can also make those injuries seem like they’re taking longer to heal even though they’ve already resolved, and/or it can also slow down the immune system’s healing response.

I do not believe we or our bodies are unconsciously wishing to be injured to have a distraction from our emotional pain and stress. I think we just aren’t present, making us far more clumsy and losing the energy and/or focus required to complete tasks.

Ellen likes this.