1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Breaking the Pain Cycle

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by kkcarlton, Jul 11, 2017.

1. kkcarlton

kkcarlton Peer Supporter

Hi,

I have read and re-read "Reframe the Meaning of Pain" and "Breaking the Pain Cycle" by Alan Gordon multiple times. They give me hope and they are great reminders that things can get worse before they get better because of the extinction burst. My question is, how do I stop the fear thoughts Alan talks about in "Breaking the Pain Cycle." Thoughts like if the pain will ever go away or when will it come back, etc.? How do I stop these thoughts or what do I replace them with, especially if it spikes?

Thank you,
    Kristina

2. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

Try not bargaining with the pain. In other words expect the pain to come but know that it has no significance. It is only your own mind creating it, no damage is happening to your body. Then use tools such as deep breathing, reassuring yourself you are safe, focusing on the task at hand etc. to develop outcome independence. Try not to be disappointed at all about the pain just keep looking forward and know that this is the path to recovery. Know that the pain is psychological and therefore nothing to fear.