1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Book that's helping me: "Being Kind to Yourself:Releasing Frustrations & Embracing Joy" by C. Bunch

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by BloodMoon, Jan 20, 2022.

Tags:
  1. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

I recently discovered a book called "Being Kind to Yourself: Releasing Frustrations and Embracing Joy" by Cindy Bunch https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kind-Yours...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1642580617&sr=1-2 that is definitely helping me a lot mentally and I am seeing some positive results symptoms-wise. (I'm a TMS 'struggler' of many years standing.)

In her book Cindy Bunch suggests regularly asking yourself:

"What's bugging (or frustrating) me?"

and then immediately afterwards to ask yourself:

"What is giving me joy?"

Your response to what's giving you joy doesn't have to be anything to do with your answer to the question what's bugging or frustrating you, but it can be related.

These questions are, as the author suggests, probably best asked in the mornings with regard to what's been happening in your life the day before, but personally I am finding it incredible helpful to ask the them as I go about my day...When I realise and notice that I am feeling uncomfortable in body or mind, het up, angry, fearful, worried etc., I ask myself what it is that's bugging me and then follow it up with asking what is giving me joy or going well. (The author of the book points out that the good and the bad intermingle during your day.) I find that doing this is really bringing things home to me as to what's actually going on inside me, and recognising and acknowledging the 'joy' parts of my life stops any tendency to go into a spiral of 'woe is me' depression or anxiety or whatever.

The book also advises that when you're being bugged by something that you're having to experience or do, you can focus on why you're experiencing or doing whatever it might be...It's more on the Pollyanna side, but not too much imho as the emphasis is on being grateful, e.g. a quote from the book: 'When doing the dishes, Jacci would say to herself, “Thank you for these dishes I get to wash because I can feed my family.” She found it helpful when she was in the midst of a cycle of negative thoughts. This is an effective way to slowly change over those negative mental states, perhaps especially the activities that lead to the “Why am I stuck doing this chore?” internal conversation.'

I should warn that the book is Christian - refers to God and prayer regularly. I am an agnostic, however, and I have and am still getting a lot from it despite my ignoring some of the practices and the references to support from God etc., because they don't fit in with my particular view of things.

If at all interested, you can see more of the content of the book than on amazon on google books, here's the link https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Jt7ODwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false (Be Kind to Yourself)

Best to all,

BM

fridaynotes and Cactusflower like this.