1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

"Body scanning??"

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Lunarlass66, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Lunarlass66

Lunarlass66 Well known member

Hello everyone,
    It's become part of my morning ritual, since often the posts are comforting and help me build up enough courage and fortitude to face the daily pain challenge...
    However, a post in the "Ask a TMS therapist" got me thinking. As a matter of (bad) habit, I've become rather hypervigilant over bodily sensations over the past couple of years which has interfered greatly with my enjoyment of life.. And added to the development of my anxiety problems. But, the therapist in one of his replies suggests "body scanning" for signs of anxiety so it can be tended to... Isn't that rather counterproductive in that focusing on things other than the pain is supposed to be key to recovery? I find I drive myself to TEARS and hypochondria focusing on what my body is doing at any given time... I just want to "fa getta bout et!!"..
    :)

2. MicheleRenee

MicheleRenee Peer Supporter

i think the goal is to get to a point where you can do it "without fear".... so if youre developing hypochondria from the sensations fear is definitely entering the picture. its a process.. it wont happen over night for most of us. you just have to keep practising without fear.

Lunarlass66 likes this.
  3. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

4. Lunarlass66

Thanks so much for your kind replies MindBodyPT... Yes, I like to listen to Alan Gordon's sessions with other TMS sufferers. His voice is soothing... Also I've listened to Claire Weekes and read the book. I've worked with a counselor and we did some mindfulness work in her office.. However, I do have a difficult time with meditation.
    The body scanning thing is kind of tough on me because I'm so sensitized by on going pain and a hypochondriac to boot... I've been super traumatized by all the tests and doctors..every twinge I feel makes me panic and gives me even more pain or other symptoms, usually all occurring on my right side (previous hamstring injury on that side.) btw, what's "tendonopathy" and does it ever heal? I was in pt for a long time working on that one!
    :(

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  5. MindBodyPT

Tendinopathy=TMS. Chronic tendon injury? If you let the original strain heal it shouldn't turn into chronic pain, like all other TMS variants.

Maybe a different type of meditation would be better for you? I took an 8 week mindfulness based stress reduction course that was great and taught lots of different varieties of meditation from sitting/breath awareness to lovingkindness to yoga.

Lunarlass66 likes this.
  6. Lunarlass66

The doctors misdignosed my hamstring strain as hip bursitis at first, so I continued chasing the kids around at work, though with a limp... Unaware of the real problem.
    Does that mean my hamstring didn't heal? I was in PT a long time.. Months and they told me it would always be "tighter" than my left side and it is. I blame the Dr. for leading me down the wrong path with that one. He said I could still work, but it would hurt. I worry I either did permanent damage or the TMS strategically goes there and my lower back because those are the places that scare me most...
    Self-compassion is another weak point for me. I'm still working on that one. It's very hard when you've been one way all your life and now trying to do something totally opposite.. Thanks again for your reassuring responses... The emotional support means so so much to me.

7. MindBodyPT

Tell yourself it's the TMS that goes there every time. Hamstrings heal, they don't stay strained forever. Happy to help! Message me if you have other PT related questions I can answer.

8. Lunarlass66

I certainly hate to harp on the stenosis thing, but would the symptoms move around within one leg and only be on the right side?I do recumbent biking and try to walk at least two miles a day, but with so much fear, that I cry while doing it. I keep thinking because of all these spinal issues, I'm not strong or healthy anymore and it just eats away at any enjoyment of life. Doesn't stenosis take years to progess? I've read some people have debilitating pain and disability with it and others feel nothing. I'm still praying this is TMS pain and nothing more.... :(

9. MindBodyPT

Lunarlass,

I'm so sorry this is causing so much pain and anxiety! Hopefully the reassurance helps...really work on looking at the evidence and strengthening your TMS beliefs. Know that TMS applies to you and most everyone with stenosis. Symptoms often move around with TMS (and sometimes they don't). The brain can create any symptoms in the body through neural pathways. Stenosis may or may not progress and even if it does is just a spinal abnormality, harmless in the vast majority of people. I have seen patients with "severe" stenosis and minimal to no symptoms at all. You ARE strong and healthy! Spinal anomalies are normal in everyone over the age of like 20. I truly believe that chronic pain with stenosis is TMS. The few VERY VERY RARE cases of stenosis that actually produce severe functional deficits (again please note this is SUPER RARE and i'm sure doesn't apply to you) don't necessarily even come with pain!

And in response to your other post- MRI reports are scary and pathologizing and really most of the time don't tell us much if they aren't looking for a tumor or something. Doctors fear monger for various financial and medical culture reasons. I've had doctors tell my patients the most ludicrous things that never came true. Its highly likely you've had the stenosis much longer than the pain. Please don't worry about "progression" because even if it became "Severe" on imaging there is no reason other than TMS for that to cause pain.

Lunarlass66 likes this.
  10. Lunarlass66

Thank you so much MindBodyPT.. For your expert information and sacrificing your time. One of the biggest mistakes I made all this time is chasing a physical explanation for my symptoms and often resorting to Google for medical advice. God, it's enough to scare even the most calm, courageous person into rushing to the doctor, who only reinforces fear. I once had a doctor tell me while I cried that he could "guarantee" I would develop a debilitating condition or injury at some point just because of my age. Part of the anxiety is feeling the slow loss of control(or so it seems) over my health. Is it really as bad as all that?? I just can't accept it! I could see if I fell from a two story building, had a major car accident, something obviously damaging. But, just everyday living just SHOULDN'T cause chronic or crippling injury.. My rational side tells me it's just BS, then I try to think positive until the next "rotating" pain pulls me back down... It's ALWAYS something right-sided. Right-sided hip pain (got diagnosed with "minimal arthrosis" ) right-sided knee pain, right-sided foot pain, right-sided back pain... I would wager a guess, though my right side is dominant, that my LEFT hip probably has the same degree of arthrosis as my right, after all I've been using them equally for 51 yrs!
    I saw an article you posted on OA and sensitization and I do put some stock into that theory... I find myself constantly looking for concrete evidence for everything before I can truly believe in it.. And I'm learning that there doesn't seem to be any such thing. Thanks again for helping me. I'm really struggling.

MindBodyPT likes this.
  11. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I just finished rereading Monte Hueftle's "GET RID OF THAT PAIN IN YOUR BUTT NOW", and he mentions "body scanning" in a positive light. I'll try to lead you to the citation, I was going to do a thread about his book with some good TMS quotes from it. He's a marathon running TMS/coach.

Lunarlass66 likes this.
  12. gutter3

gutter3 Peer Supporter

Was this a course you found online? I am trying to figure out the mindfulness part of all of this and keep finding myself stuck. There are too many resources out there I don't know where to start. I am good at following a program or course. Not so much at doing it all on my own. I can hold myself accountable if I follow a program.

13. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

When you feel stuck, the best thing you can do is return to the original sources : Read your Sarno, or other TMS books by his devotees mentioned here--they are all good. When you are ready to heal, you will heal.

TMS theory is simple, the hard part is the sub-conscious gremlin that wants to fight healing enlightenment, keeping pain for a psychological defense mechanism.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Ellen likes this.
  14. MindBodyPT

https://palousemindfulness.com/ (Online MBSR/Mindfulness (Free)) Is the one I used, it's based on John Kabat Zinn's program he started in the 70s.

Ellen likes this.
  15. gutter3

gutter3 Peer Supporter