1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Are there any TMS conferences?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by North Star, Feb 28, 2014.

1. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Just wondering if there are any TMS conferences in the states at all…

I think it would be so wonderful if there were one. And especially if everyone here could attend. :) How encouraging would that be?

Ellen and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

That would be awesome North Star. I bet forest will let us know. I will check into it though.
    Bless you

3. North Star

Well, I humbly raise my hand to help organize one should the idea ever start to take shape….

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I'll bring snacks....:hungry:

5. North Star

You're on, Ellen! You might need to swing by my house first….I must perform "quality control" tests of the yummies. haha

6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Om nom nom, snacks nom nom nom

So far there have been five TMS conferences for practitioners:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/TMS_Conferences
    .... but none for the public.

We considered doing one for the public, but we lost momentum because of the tremendous amount of effort it would take to organize. Profitability could be very tough as well, so right now I'm much more excited about free online events like our weekly discussion group.

The nice thing about the discussion group is that often we can get some of the same speakers that we might want to have on at a conference.

Snacks would be nice, though. I wonder how we might integrate them into our discussion groups.

For the record, here are some notes we took the last time we considered doing a conference for the public. Just to be clear: the following do not indicate anything that is actually being planned for the future. Rather, they are historical notes from a planning process that never came to fruition.

ForestForTreesTMS writes, "Hi everyone, I'm currently working with Dr. Schubiner, Dr. Schechter, Dr. Clarke, Dr. Stracks and Alan Gordon to organize a conference about TMS for next year. The last TMS conference was just for TMS professionals, but for this one, they want to have a portion of it be for patients. Everything is extremely tentative at the moment -- we haven't even chosen a location yet -- but the other members of the group asked me to put the word out to the TMS community and ask the following questions:
    1. Would you be interested in going to a conference like this?
    2. What sort of events would you like to see at the conference?
    Let's all put our thinking caps on and brainstorm what we would like to have at the conference! The doctors and therapists who are organizing it are really very interested in hearing our feedback. Dr. Schubiner even said, "let's have the patients come up with a design for the conference." This makes a lot of sense to me, because we know what sort of event we would want to go to.

We have an awful lot to work with. At 86, I don't think that anyone could blame Dr. Sarno for not participating, so I don't think that we can count on him (for example, he didn't attend the last conference in Ann Arbor). However, just about everyone else in the TMS world will probably be there. What would everyone like to see?"

General Notes:
    • We might want to have two different sessions. The first would be the basics for people who are new to TMS and would be similar to the lectures that several doctors give. The second session would be for people who have already read several books and perhaps watched one of the introductory lectures. It would be for people who are already fairly well educated. Attendees could choose one or go to both, paying accordingly (you pay less per session if you go to both). Most of the following ideas would focus on the second session because it will be more challenging to design.
    • "Brenda" from TMSHelp suggested, "depending on where it would be held, and assuming we all couldn't get there, maybe there could be satelite locations throughout the country where it could be Skyped in... That way everyone could still participate..."
    General Talks:
    • "New Research Documenting the Neuro-Psycho-Biological Basis of TMS," by Howard Schubiner (this would be similar to the talk that he gave in Ann Arbor, but designed for patients.)
    • A success stories patient panel (Peg and Matthew, would you be interested in organizing this now that you have expertise in this area?)
    • A TMS psychotherapist talking about the role of psychotherapy in TMS treatment.
    • Howard Schubiner could lead a meditation seminar for everyone.
    • Presentation by a celebrity who has recovered from TMS.
    • Journaling tips and techniques
    • Inner child dialogue
    • Self-esteem
    • "What is thinking psychological?"
    • Laughter as the best medicine
    • Stress reduction techniques
    • Learning self care skills
    • Finding balance
    • Healing Trauma
    • difficult cases w/ multiple symptoms
    • TMS factors in auto immune disease, cancer etc.
    Possible celebrity participants: (each name is linked to a web page that describes how the person has TMS and feels grateful for Dr. Sarno's ideas)
    • Howard Stern
    • 20/20 producer John Stossel
    • TV Producer and comedian Jannette Barber
    • WBAL TV 11 Sports Director Gerry Sandusky
    • Pro golfer Ben Crane
    Specific Symptom/Diagnosis talks:
    • (Perhaps we could have breakout sessions for this, where different sessions would run at the same time, each focusing on a different symptom or diagnosis. People could go to the ones that were most interesting to them.)
    • Nancy Selfridge on TMS and Fibromyalgia
    • Abigail Steidley on pelvic pain
    • Marc Sopher on running and TMS
    • talks on other specific symptoms and diagnoses could be given by teams made up of a recovered patient who had that symptom or diagnosis and a doctor comfortable with treating that symptom or diagnosis.
    Activism ideas:
    • Writing letters (using templates we provide) to your doctor(s), telling them about TMS.
    • Activism brainstorming session: "coordinating activism by patients and professionals."

Eric "Herbie" Watson and G.R. like this.
  7. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Forest,
    The agenda for the conference sounds awesome. Maybe, have committees to take care of different areas would make it easier to
    put together. I think one of the major things to discuss what state should it be in so it could be convenient to a majority of people.

8. North Star

Wow, Forest. Lots of great ideas already. A conference of that magnitude would be well-worth attending. But yeah, I understand timing and cost in such things.

Online certainly has its benefits. But we can't share our nom's. ;)

Perhaps another idea might be to keep an eye open for other conferences (like health fairs, fitness training, etc) where perhaps there could be a session on TMS in order to raise awareness.

I'm a bit of a visionary so your post has my wheels turning. One day...

9. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I love it! That, by the way, is the mission of this nonprofit: to support people who have ideas and energy for spreading the word about TMS. A conference is a big deal, though, because you often have to advertise if you want to break even, so it can be quite expensive.

.... on a simpler level, if you and your hubby are ever in Boston, give me a holler, and I'll be happy to share some noms... :)

10. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Okay, in the meantime, I'd like to invite anyone who is interested to come to Austin, Texas for this conference June 7th & 8th:

http://www.hayhouse.com/i-can-do-it-2014-austin

Its an incredible line up and we could spend some time socializing and hanging out. Austin is a great city to drink margaritas, listen to music, and forget about our pain distractions for a little while! I know its not the beach and it will be hot as heck but we do have Barton Springs(an enormous public natural spring fed pool).

11. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

North Star, I think we should form the Snacks Committee just in case. Everyone knows that the quality of a conference is determined by the quality of the snacks--well, and maybe the margaritas, too. Austin sounds nice. Great music, too.

12. North Star

Forest, you're on! And likewise, should you and your sweetie find yourself in Big Sky Country. ;)

Anne, that sounds fabulous. I've always wanted to see Austin, I've heard great things about that area. But hopefully, we'll be in the midst of move by summer. (Fingers crossed!) Ellen, perhaps we should rendezvous in Austin for snack research. (If I'm not moving.) lol

Ellen and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  13. nancy

nancy Well known member

Oh how terrific a get together would be! I have thought about this before but never mentioned
    it as I thought it would not be possible. Maybe if all who could make it would be able to handle
    the costs? If I had a big home I'd invite you all here. Lots of luck North Star with your home sale.
    I just went through it and all went well. I sold after 5mths in this economy. Bake those choc chip
    cookies before a showing!!

14. Mala

Mala Well known member

Anne . My husband who is English went to uni in Austin (St Edward's)& he keeps saying we should go together some time. This would be perfect because one of the keynote speakers at the conference is Anita Moorjani , a dear friend from HK.
    So maybe I should start planning. :).

Mala

North Star likes this.
  15. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Mala, what a small world! I can't believe your husband went to St. Edwards! And Anita Moorjani looks like a fascinating person. That would be wonderful if you could come!

Mala and North Star like this.
  16. North Star

Wow. Love how these connections pop up. It really is a small world!

Nancy, oh yeah…I usually have the smell of something yummy wafting through the house before a showing. I'm hoping once this pile of snow we're buried in melts a bit, activity will pick up. Anyone wanna buy a house in Montana? ;)

Mala likes this.
  17. Mala

Mala Well known member

Has any one ever thought about small group meet ups for TMSers in the States since it seems that is where most people are from. Nothing too formal but with a basic agenda. You know where people could talk about tms maybe with someone like Forest or Herbie or Walt, njoy leading the discussion. Who knows it may grow into something of a regular occurrence & become bigger & bigger. we know how helpful the forum is but imagine how much better if people could come together & talk about various aspects of Tms, share their stories, frustrations, successes, q/a sessions etc?

Mala

Forest and Ellen like this.
  18. North Star

Mala, Your idea is one that I have entertained. I've organized support groups and have done speaking (on ADHD) so I'm very comfortable doing something like that. I will probably do so when we get relocated. (We're moving out of state when our house sells.)

Starting something organically, at grassroots, is really a great way to go. And you can have snacks too. :)

Forest, Mala and Ellen like this.
  19. Mala

Mala Well known member

Snacks oh yes snacks! Yum.

North Star, it would be great if you could once u have moved. I'm sure you would do it well given yr background & experience.

I have entertained the idea but I do not feel that I am qualified. I am still struggling very much with my own healing. Although I understand the theory very well & could very happily talk about TMS to an audience I would feel like a fraud in that I have not been successful in ridding myself of my own pain.

I have just returned from 5 days in Saigon. The last day was agony and I had to cancel things that we had planned.

Very frustrating indeed.

Mala

20. North Star

Oh Mala….I don't feel qualified at this point in time, either. I'm hardly at the success story stage. (Today's been an especially tough day so I empathize with your canceled plans.) It is my hope that by the time we are moved, I will have my success story. :)

In the meanwhile, I am happy to share with anyone who will listen. I've tasted enough of pain free days that I know I'm on my way.

But yeah….these times in the valley aren't fun. I hope you're feeling better today.

Ellen, Anne Walker and Mala like this.