1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 19 Another Paradox/Dilemma

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Sean, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Sean

Sean New Member

Hi Everyone...the SEP keeps us busy for 42 days! It is a learning process for sure. I found it interesting that no Ozanich an Sarno advocate not paying attention to what the body is doing otherwise the Pain continues....that is a difficult mind trick to overcome...especially early on...Catch 22 for me... focus on pain is dependent on the amount/level...little or no pain. And I'm not occupied with it....increasing or intensified Pain leads to a resultant rise in (pre) occupation with it...just another facet of the mind 'game'...Ozanich really shares a real life journey which is most likely the reality for most of us...inspirational

2. Janine28

Janine28 Peer Supporter

Hi Sean, I feel myself in the same catch 22. I've been beginning to think of the pain the way that I think of upsetting thoughts before I go to sleep. Sometimes if somethings upsetting me, I pay special attention to it, so that it can't hideout in my subconscious mind and haunt me in my sleep. Next I think of a few things that brought me joy or that I found beautiful during the day. Then I drift off to sleep. Lately when pain arises, I've been letting myself attend to it by spending some time asking "what am I thinking now?" and then feeling any emotions that arise. Mostly fear! By staying with the fear for a little while, I feel like I'm short-circuiting it from dropping down into my subconscious. It works for upending upsetting thoughts from entering my dreams, and it seems to be working so far with TMS. While I don't focus a lot of time on the actual pain, I do do a few gentle things to alleviate pain as well. Like massaging my knees or doing some stretches. May you keep up the great explorations and also be compassionate with yourself!

Gigi likes this.