1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Acting "as if…"

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by North Star, Apr 24, 2014.

1. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

I wasn't able to be in on much of the call this past Tuesday but I did call in early and talked with Herbie. I've been going through a rough patch with pain levels all over the board and needed a shot in the arm. And Herbie was just the man for the job. (Love you, Herbie. )

We're getting stressors from every direction. Kid getting married. Another who's recently launched. House on the market. Uncertain cash flow from our businesses. I could go on….;):)

Herbie guided me through a couple of techniques but I have to share the one that was most effective at that time is to approach things "as if…" As in, "as if…everything is okay…your health is perfect…your finances are great…your kids are doing extremely well, etc…"

I was telling my hubby about this while we were driving into town. "Okay," I said, "Just imagine there is plenty of money, new and wonderful clients are eager to engage your services, everything with the kids is falling into place…" and so on.

Ya know what? Just SAYING that stuff made me feel lighter. So I keep saying it.

My pain levels took a few days to slack off but they are down significantly and guess what else? Our businesses have picked up some promising contracts.

Why oh why do we expend energy on worry? It takes less energy to voice positive things and well…I think there really is something to the Law of Attraction.

If you're not seeing the promised land yet…why not try acting like you ARE and see what happens.

And then tell us about it. :)

2. Mala

Mala Well known member

Good to hear that the technique is working for you North Star. Keep at it, good luck & keep us posted!

Mala

3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Awww, thank you so much North Star. Love You Too :)

Yes you could but you knew you needed another way, a re-frame sorta say and acting "As if" has got me through a lot. I am acting as if you are going to love my reply and we are going to get many more stories from this "As if" Post now.

I have an "As if" moment; I remember I was waiting on my blood results to come back for the last time after the big tic byte scare last year and instead of feeling the emotions of fear and just focusing on the emotions I decided to act as if everything the DR. said to me was going to be " Eric, Everything shows well and you are completely healed."
    That was about 10 days or less ago and before I even went in to the office I had this awesome feeling that all was going to be super cause I was feeling it was going to be in every fiber of my being. Thoughts, emotions and all -- congruent. When I asked how the results were the DR. looked at me exactly the way I had thought in my mind and said your well, all tests showed great.
    It was surreal, I was jumping for joy but not to much excitement cause I had already been over joyed knowing that this was the way it was all going to turn out any how. I was able to do that by acting "As if."
    See, some take over a year to heal after being bit by those tics that are infected, I only took about a few months more like 60 days but it was a gradual coming back to my strength because it was all zapped ya know from the viral infection but honestly, from the time I heard about the sickness till today I have acted as if the whole time and now I got a clear bill of health. Woo, hoo

Why not think this way, We have the choice everyday we get up to act as if all is going way wrong or we can act as if all is going way right. I choose to go with what works well in my life. A lady named Barbara wrote a whole book on how acting "As if" changed her life. I thought it was so cool to know that when I thought like this it instantly gave me a charge of hope and courage and being in the now was so easy, love it.

This is a success story in life in general. I love it so much and am so excited for you and your new found knowledge power. Keep this well guarded with your heart. For it works by compassion and patience with peace. Bless You

I remember allot of lessons from the law of attraction that I picked up on and one of the most powerful tools was The way you feel in your mind and body emotionally is what your attracting to you and I thought now how can I make that easier to be done and then the "AS if" model came back to my rescue.
    I can feel it when I know I can't lose it. And I feel like a winner every time I act "as if" the journey is already done. The bills are already paid and the business is already booming. I love it. You too have had the success of the law of attraction and the story is awesome. I would love to hear more success stories from our friends about how the law of attraction has manifested in their lives.

And then tell us about it. :)[/quote]

I love this North Star. Thank You so much my precious friend.

North Star likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

These posts and replies are wonderful. And it's really good to be reminded of the "As if" positive thinking and the
    Laws of Attraction.

They're some of the best Mindbody techniques.

I told myself this morning, "The postman is not going to put anything bad like bills in my mail today."
    It "woiked!" Just some junk mail I tossed out.

For tomorrow, I'll say "Thanks for the good stuff you'll be giving me!"

5. North Star

Aw, Herbie…you are such a jewel. Forgive my brief reply, I have been working a lot the past few days so I'm just now getting caught up here.

Walt, when I go to the mailbox, I picture checks in the mailbox. Really. Some crazy things have happened, that's all I can say. But of course, the power bill keeps coming too. LOL

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I'll do that, picture checks in the mail. Much better than worrying about more bills.

7. North Star

The arrival of winter power bills can terrify me, Walt. It seems to take a bigger bite our of budget each year. Another reason why I look forward to a more moderate climate. ;)

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Yes, heating costs can cause us to sweat.
    Another good reason to move.

My federal income tax bill came yesterday and I was sweating it, but it turned out to be not bad at all.

But it does seem like I'm living just to pay bills and throw out the garbage every Thursday.

9. LindaRK

LindaRK Well known member

I love this concept, but what do you do with the negative thoughts looping back after the "what if" thoughts. That's my problem ..... negative and of course, realistic for me.

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

It's not easy to stop negative thoughts from coming anytime. We just have to force ourself to switch to the
    opposite thought of worry and find sunny things and people to think about.

Distracting our mind onto something pleasant is often helpful.

D

11. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

We will always have both thought patterns LindaRK. The choice is yours. The unique thing is you can get a loop of all good expectations mostly if you use the as if model.
    I would say thoughts that only make you feel terrible is not a good cup of tea, so I think "as if" I can have a better outlook on all I do and mostly My pay it forward thoughts usually bring me what I'm thinking for, whether it be good or bad.
    Theirs the emotion we mix with the faith or belief we have in an experience to happen. If we're already mostly lined up with that experience most likely to happen then we can change course just by our thoughts quite easily.

North Star likes this.
  12. LindaRK

Herbie - thanks for your kind and wise words. One would think it's relatively easy to get out of the loop and think of something positive, but when you've had a good part of your life enmeshed in negativity, it's really, really hard. Not to say I'm not trying - I am! When I do my gratitude statements in the morning, many times (still!) I find myself saying I'm grateful for something and then a "but" comes in ...... ugh. So frustrating! Practice makes perfect .... er, practice will make it easier. :)

13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Linda, it may sound carefree, or worse, but this morning it's cloudy, cool, rainy in my Chicago suburban area,
    and I am really tired of this long long winter. So is everyone around here that I talk to.
    Everyone is downright depressed.

So this morning I thought simply how fortunate I am compared to those people whose homes were flattened
    in the recent tornadoes, and those who were helpless victims of tornadoes, floods, mudslides that took their homes
    and loved one's lives.

It's like the old story about the man who felt sorry he had no shoes until he saw a man with no feet.

Still, I know it's hard to put ourselves in the shoes of those who have suffered in natural disasters, or wars,
    but I try to think that compared to them, life is pretty good for me. I worry about money, my health, and
    mortality (I'm almost 84), but my beloved dog and I are still getting around and I feel the Lord is with me,
    inside as the Holy Spirit, as he is in each of us.

Try not to think of what made your life so bad and negative. Don't focus your eyes or mind on the black hole
    but on the sunshine and the rainbow that is waiting for you.

North Star likes this.
  14. LindaRK

Thanks for the kind words, Walt. I know this is what I must do - I don't mean to sound like a whiner. I appreciate and am grateful for where I am and what I have .... it's just those sneaky negative thoughts always butt their way in. My mantra used to be "it could be worse" and I still think about that often, but then it goes to, "could it"? My family and I have just had alot of bad juju over the years - probably nothing that most people would consider bad - we still have a home and food on the table, clothes on our back, but it's just the accumulated stress of bad stuff happening.

North Star likes this.
  15. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I know, Linda. The bad stuff seems to keep coming. It comes to me, too.
    I think you need to change your mantra because it's negative.
    Instead of "It can't be worse," which is cautionary good thinking, be more positive with
    something else.

Maybe: "I feel great. I am happy and healthy and prospering."

I like "Every day in every way I'm getting better and better."
    It's an oldie, but works for me.

16. LindaRK

Thanks, Walt ....... didn't look at my mantra that way. I also use "I'm getting better and better, every day in every way", but need to be more diligent about it.

North Star likes this.
  17. sewmuch

sewmuch Member

North Star and Linda RK, I too worry and have negative thoughts. I have found that they are like bacteria and multiply and become virulent in large amounts! One thing I do is to try to face the worry. Ok, what are the bad things that could happen but also what are the potential good things that could happen. For example, husband quits his job because he is miserable, money is tight, he meets a new business partner at the gym in the middle of the day, and things get better than ever financially and on the happiness quotient. I also will sometimes write it down, it helps me to see it, then write down what are the bad things, what are the good things, and even sometimes what are the probabilities realistically of each outcome. Then the next step might be, ok if this bad thing happens, then what are my options and what can I do now to address. It helps to put some light on the darkness and also helps to do something and take action. Then put it aside and go on.

We feel helpless because we often feel we have no control over it. If there is still worry, I often just go to emergency mode - ok if everything goes to hell-in-a handbasket, let me think of the really important things in my life I have, will have, and for which I am grateful. Food to eat, a roof over my head, my friends and family and pets, freedom to speak my mind, have my beliefs, and live my life, many opportunities for many things both work and leisure which many people in other parts of the world may not have. It may sound simplistic, but for me, putting things simply and in perspective puts me mentally on the relaxed path where I can enjoy what is in front of me now, the present, and allows good things to come, like the Law of Attraction.

There will always be "bad" and "good" things in life and sometimes they come in clusters. We don't know what potential things might happen but I try to remember "When one door is closed, many more are open."

18. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

You have a treasure trove of positive thinking and feeling, sewmuch.
    The blessings you mentioned are the big, most important ones.

I would just add laughing as a way to defeat worry. We can't be worried
    and laugh at the same time, and I much prefer laughing.

It only takes a moment or two of laughing to make the worry thoughts go away.

North Star likes this.
  19. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Another thought... it's funny but this morning I began to worry when I head a
    "beep-beep-beeping" in my ears while I was in the bathroom.
    I thought, darn it, I must have an ear infection.

Then I went into my bedroom office next to the bathroom and discovered that
    my radio was beeping. I turned off the beep and laughed.

North Star likes this.
  20. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Also,
    all I have to do is look at the Weather Channel to remind me of how lucky I am.
    Spring may be a little late this year, as the old song goes, but the Chicago area has
    not been hit with the tornadoes, floods, fires, earthquakes of other parts of the country.
    The roof is still on the house and my feet are dry. That's a lot to be thankful for.

North Star likes this.