1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

2 steps forward 1 step back

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by WIRM, Jan 15, 2020.

1. WIRM

WIRM New Member

So after some great initial success with alleviation of my dizziness, I'm now being welcomed by new symptoms I've had in the past (intrusive thoughts, anxiety, pains in the chest, bad sleep). Is this simply the mind trying to find a new "home" for the distraction?

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, this is called the symptom imperative and it’s a really good sign that you’re making progress. Keep on keeping on and you’ll kick this into touch. :)

Hayley and WIRM like this.
  3. WIRM

WIRM New Member

thank you for the reassurance. Didn't realise it had a name :)

plum likes this.
  4. WIRM

WIRM New Member

Interestingly when i started to read about the SI, I immediately could feel my fear kicking in. Oh no, no symptom X,Y & Z is going to come back. Heck I wonder what else I'll have to face. I'm never going to be able to kick this TMS thing as there will always be another "layer". TMS is a death sentence of endless symptoms.

Silly brain.

plum likes this.
  5. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Here’s a post from @Alan Gordon LCSW that describes it well.

https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/overcoming-the-symptom-imperative.7629/ (Alan G. - Overcoming the symptom imperative)

But the great thing is you see it for what it is. As time goes on TMS has a way of becoming increasingly ridiculous until it reaches the point where it overplays it’s hand. As daft as this sounds I’ve even felt affection for it’s silliness at times.
    Rest assured, you have the vibe of someone who is truly on the right path. Your healing is a given.

Ellen and WIRM like this.
  6. WIRM

WIRM New Member

Thank you:happy:. It's been a crazy 5 years chasing a "cure". I've been down every dark alley in the sick city. Finally, I feel like I'm in an alley where I will not get mugged from my money and that might lead towards somewhere with light.

plum and Rainstorm B like this.
  7. WIRM

WIRM New Member

Nice analogy. Thank you.

And to add - I think this is a brilliant metaphor for looking at it in an optimal way (relaxed, laughable, such a joke) to avoid the repression and growing fear that would otherwise come about.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    plum likes this.