1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Special TMS author event on Tuesday, March 4

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Join the call-in discussion group this Tuesday (March 4th) for a special event with Sarno patient and TMS author Stephen Conenna!

Steve, who recently published the TMS book Use Your Mind to Heal Your Body, will share how he recovered from over 15 years of chronic back pain using the TMS approach. We hope you'll tune in to hear his story and what worked for him in his recovery.

Just to share a bit more information, a TMS Therapist I know well who recovered from TMS themselves wrote to me to say, "I wanted to let you know that I really like Stephen Connena's book and have referred it to a number of my clients, who have found it very helpful, especially his suggestions about journaling. It's also a good intro to TMS/PPD for clients who aren't big readers (it's mercifully short!)."

The event will be part of our weekly call in discussion group hosted by @Eric "Herbie" Watson, @BruceMC, and myself. For this week's call, Conenna will give present his own story as he would present it in one of Dr. Sarno's alumni panels. Conenna was the person who started the alumni panels, so the story you hear will be similar to one you might have heard if you were one of Dr. Sarno's patients. After the presentation we will open the phone lines for questions.

About Conenna's book, Dr. Sarno wrote, "I recommend this highly." You can read more about the book in this thread: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/thread...-body-a-new-book-by-stephen-conenna-p-e.3626/ or on the wiki page http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Use_Your_Mind_to_Heal_Your_Body

Connection details are the same as they are every week. However, this week, I will open the lines early, at 8:15 ET, and give a brief tour of our site and our 501c3 nonprofit from 8:20-8:45 ET. During the tour you will be able to watch my screen by visiting www.screenleap.com/tms

The main discussion will then go from 9:00-10:00 ET. The majority of the call between 9 and 10 will be recorded and will be distributed online.

Connection details are as follows (for detailed instructions, visit www.tmswiki.org/ppd/connect). If you're connecting by phone, dial1 201-479-4595 and when prompted enter the pin code 18311499 followed by the pound symbol. If you're connecting via your computer (Fuze Meeting), go towww.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/app/48fb7aa8/18311499 and follow the instructions from there.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I hope everyone will join the call-in March 4 and meet Stephen Conenna. Here's more about him and his book:

In his book, Stephen Conenna, a civil engineer, Use Your Mind to Heal Your Body, tells his compelling story about how he healed from 15 years of chronic, severe back pain after reading Dr. Sarno’s book, Healing Back Pain. His back pain began when he was an undergraduate student and became so intense when he was in graduate school at Columbia University in New York that some days he could not even get out of bed.

MRIs identified two herniated discs and physical therapy and surgery were prescribed. He had both, undergoing being strapped on a rack and his body being almost pulled apart, and cortisone injections six times. Nothing relieved his pain until a friend told him to real Dr. Sarno’s book. That led to attending sessions with Dr. Sarno and his associate, psychotherapist Dr. Edward Sherman.

Conenna says he came to accept the TMS theory that our pain is caused by repressed emotions, and that his began in his childhood. His “Inner Child” “ah-ha” moment of self-discovery was when he reflected on his upbringing by a stern father which led to him developing a strong need to be liked, and for others to like him. His “goodism” and a lack of understanding about his relationship with his father led him to becoming pain free. He came to realize that his problem was not with his father and that they did love each other. His problem was how he felt about himself for having feelings of anger about his father that led to unconscious rage that caused his back pain. Once he discovered that, he was healed, and has been for the past fifteen years.

His book is a highly-recommended read on how little we know about our “Inner Child” and how fast we can heal once we discover and come to terms with it.

Forest likes this.
  3. Steve Conenna

Steve Conenna New Member

I'm really looking forward to meeting all of the wonderful people here. I truly believe that we ore on the cutting edge of the future of medicine. As someone who recovered from incapacitating back pain using Dr. Sarno's ideas, it is my privilege to help you get better faster.
    Steve

Pandagirl, Ellen and Forest like this.
  4. Forest

Looking forward to this tonight!

5. Steve Conenna

Steve Conenna New Member

To everyone who attended...
    What an amazing night! I feel privileged to be in this conversation with you. Thank you for opening your minds --and hearts -- to me and allowing my contribution to be received. I look forward to being with you again soon.
    Steve

G.R. likes this.
  6. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Steve, thank you for sharing last night! I had to cut out shortly after the questions afterward but I wanted to let you know how much I appreciated your encouragement.
    THANK YOU!

7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Steve, thanks for sharing your time and story with us, just bought your book from Amazon.

8. tigerlilly

tigerlilly Well known member

Becca had posted a link to be able to listed to the last call, which I thoroughly enjoyed since I couldn't actually attend the call. (Thank you, Becca!)
    I'm wondering if someone has a recording of this call with Dr. Conenna that can be posted? I really wanted to be on that call, especially since the description above resonates with me: "He came to realize that his problem was not with his father and that they did love each other. His problem was how he felt about himself for having feelings of anger about his father that led to unconscious rage that caused his back pain."
    I'm trying to tap into those emotions and get to my core issue so I can heal and get out of bed!!

9. Forest

This was a truly terrific event. Much as he did in Dr. Sarno's alumni panels, Steve shared his success story, but went into greater detail. It was a very inspiring listen, and we had a great Q&A afterward. Since many people are new to Steve's book and will need time to read it and apply what they learn, Steve C will be dropping by again soon for a follow-up session to allow people to ask more questions.

For anyone who missed it, here's the recording:

Click here to download the mp3 audio

Thank you, Steve, for joining us, and thank you for writing your book!

10. tigerlilly

YAY! Thanks so much, Forest!
    I'm going to list to it as soon as I break from work!

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Forest like this.
  11. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow! Or to quote Herbie "awesome!"

Amazon here I come.....

Thanks to Steve and all who assisted with this recording.

G.R., Eric "Herbie" Watson and Forest like this.
  12. tigerlilly

Really enjoyed getting to hear that. I ordered the book on Kindle and look forward to reading it!

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Forest like this.
  13. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I read his book in one sitting. It is refreshingly clear, brief and to the point. For these reasons I found it helpful and feel it will be helpful to many, many others. I recommend it, especially to those who feel overwhelmed by all the modalities for healing floating around out there. Steve Conenna's book is 'pure Sarno' and, thus, helps to clarify his theories and interventions in a way that only an engineer could. Thanks, Steve.

I do have a few questions now that I've read the book for the next discussion session with the author.

G.R. and Forest like this.
  14. Oscar B.

Oscar B. New Member

Hello,
    I just heard this great interview with Stephen. It was very powerful and revealing with lots of insight. At the end of the session, it seemed that there was some agreement for Stephen to return and continue with a Q&A. Did this ever happen or could it still be a possibility?

Thanks, from Italy, @SteveConenna for your time and for sharing your story.