1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

CALL-IN TUESDAY, FEB. 25, OZANICH BOOK CHAPTERS 36 AND 37

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Feb 19, 2014.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

The Tuesday, February 25, call-in discussion group will be discussing Chapter 36 (“Trouble Healers: Unconscious Resistance to Change”) and 37 (“Is It Gone Yet?”) in Steve Ozanich's book The Great Pain Deception starting at 9 pm Eastern Time. It lasts an hour, sometimes a little longer. Phone lines will open half an hour early so you can talk to hosts and early callers. Here's how to join the discussion (for detailed instructions, visit www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Connect )

· If you're connecting by phone, dial 1 201-479-4595 and when prompted enter the pin code 18311499 followed by the pound symbol.

· If you're connecting via your computer (Fuze Meeting), go to www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/app/48fb7aa8/18311499 and follow the instructions from there.

For more information, visit www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Call-In_Peer_Discussion_Group.

Steve puts it short and simple in Chapter 36: “Trouble Healers: Unconscious Resistance to Change,” saying “If you are thinking about healing, then you are no longer healing; you are only thinking about healing.”
    Good advice but not easy to take because it can be hard not think about pain when you feel it.

Steve says a few people do not heal from TMS pain or heal more slowly if they have early extreme emotional separation trauma – intense anxiety – which cannot be overcome through mere knowledge and may require intense counseling or programmed dreams.

A friend’s wife had deep emotional problems and underwent psychiatric treatment which led to her dealing with love separation from her mother. Her mother simply did not love her and said once that she wished her daughter had been a cat so she could have drowned her. Psychoanalysis led to my friend’s wife accepting her mother’s lack of love and then forgiving her. It healed the emotional distress from early extreme emotional separation trauma and my friend’s wife went on with a normal, healthy life.

Steve says that trauma from childhood can lurk and grow into generalized anger at the world. Some people in pain unconsciously do not want to heal because they may be forced to face more rejection, back into unwanted responsibility, or job, or significant other.

He says these self-sabotagers are by far the angriest of people, although they may not show it and be very quiet and polite instead of loud and obnoxious. They may have such low self-esteem that they actually feel they deserve suffering. Multiple abandonments, fear of abandonment, or memories of abandonment fears have made them collectors of pain. They have been beaten down since childhood, leaving them feeling that they are less than they truly are, and have more than they truly deserve.

A small number of those who do not heal from TMS after some time prevent healing through repeatedly and unconsciously resisting treatment. A common example is those who overeat. Their conscious self tries dieting but suddenly one day they gorge themselves on desserts. That person unconsciously rejects the idea of weight loss, but this creates an inner conflict because she has mixed emotions about dieting.

Steve says a major obstacle in his own healing was that his back pain had become a part of who he was; who he identified himself as. He said he thought of himself as, “Hi, I’m Steve. I have a bad back. It’s nice to meet you.” He said a person like that feels he is forever disabled, but he isn’t. He has chosen to accept the notion that he is flawed, and so he is.

A cell biologist, Bruce Lipton, PhD, says “As soon as you start to tell yourself in your perception that you can’t do something anymore, then your biologic system will adjust to prove you right; you will not do what you think you can’t do.”

Whenever I feel that way, I tell myself the positive: “I can do anything I set my mind to do.” And then I do it. I no longer fear doing it because I’ve done it.

Some people fear change, even if it means becoming pain-free. Caroline Myss, PhD, says “When healing doesn’t come, you must look more deeply into your situation and current relationships and at the severity of the symptom.”

Steve ends Chapter 36 by writing about “shadow-work” and the “shadow-self” which have to do with our “Inner Child.” If you’re not familiar with “shadow-work,” it’s the parts of ourselves that we may try to hide or deny. Carl Jung says it can consist of energy patterns, known as selves or sub-personalities that were disowned, pushed down into our unconscious in childhood, as part of our coping strategies. Shadow-work allows us to identify, heal, and reclaim those lost aspects of our lives.

In Chapter 37, Steve writes about everyone’s desire to heal fast from any pain, including pain caused by TMS repressed emotions. He quotes Plato (427-347) who must have known all about the pace of healing: “Attention to health is life’s greatest hindrance.”

Steve suffered from severe chronic back pain for many years until he learned about TMS and healed. But he says he doesn’t remember the first day he felt no pain. He had put pain out of his mind and resumed being active and one day he realized he had not felt any pain for weeks. He had given up checking on his progress and his pain went away without him thinking about it, or wondering when it would stop. It just stopped.

Consciously observing health can alter desired healing outcomes, Steve says. And any shadow of doubt in the TMS process and the pain will linger or return. Also, if you are thinking about healing, then you are no longer healing, and are only thinking about healing.

Near the end of Steve’s pain he learned to simply allow pain. He eventually let the pain do what it would, and lived and moved normally, making the pain irrelevant.

People heal faster when, as Steve puts it, “they let life’s problems resolve themselves.”

Go do something you’ve always wanted to do, with excitement, and ease up on you.”

Our pain may not go away as fast as would like, and may get worse during various healing stages, for no obvious reason. Pain tells us that we are on the verge of change, coming face to face with what we know to be true deep inside us , yet won’t admit to it.

“Then faith is necessary to move forward, when the other side can’t be seen, and isn’t fully known.”

Steve writes about a great modern healer, Georg Walther. MD, who felt that there was something much greater – a force happening with the human organism that could not be defined within the human psyche. He called it the It which he said is the sum total of an individual human being. It determines what we do and what we experience.

The It is different from the Ego. Georg Walther Groddeck, MD, said that ego does not determine our heartbeats per minute, our cell structure, our need for oxygen, or that we are even organic beings. Something else determines that: our It. Dr. Groddeck gave up practicing traditional medicine that was merely performing ritualistic practices, and turned to psychoanalysis to learn that healing was determined by how It responded.

Dr. Groddeck determined that the It is the cause that needs to be understood in healing. He knew that healing would not happen with stopping the symptoms alone.

Dr. Groddeck did not use the word TMS or say that our healing comes from recognizing our repressed emotions. That came with the work of Dr. John E. Sarno. Aren’t we fortunate that men like Doctors Walther, Groddeck, and Sarno have given us the psychological tools we need to heal, and that they include belief and faith?

We hope you will join us at the call-in Tuesday and that you will share your thoughts and experiences on your healing. Steve assures you that if it hasn’t happened yet, it will.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for posting this, Walt. I'm really looking forward to the discussion tonight.

3. tigerlilly

tigerlilly Well known member

Darn it - I missed it! Are these called recorded and posted for later listening?

4. Forest

The call was a lot of fun, with many interesting ideas coming up. The calls are recorded, but we are currently having technical difficulties with our service provider (FuzeBox). Also, the person who processes the audio is sick. As a result, it will unfortunately take a little while for the audio to be posted.

5. tigerlilly

Thanks Forest - I will hope to be able to attend future calls as I feel they will be helpful for me.

6. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest, I really enjoyed the call too. I especially appreciated the encouragement in hearing people's stories of recovery from muscle cramps.
    What a wonderful community here.

7. Forest

Sounds great, @tgrllyct. We have them every week and we'd love to have you join.

That was my favorite part, too, North Star. I tend to get tired if the calls go over an hour, but I would love it if we could carve out some time at the end of the call to turn the recording off and just chat. The first half would be more like a book discussion group and the second half would be more unstructured, like what happens on the forum. If someone wants support, they could start a support thread within the call in group. What I mean is that someone could bring up a topic as if they were starting a thread in the support subforum, but it would be during the call in group. Likewise, if someone wanted to start a "general discussion thread" or even a "laughter is the best medicine thread," they could do that, too. It would all happen during the call in group, but since our community is based around the forum, we could describe topics as “threads.” Herbie could ask if anyone wanted to bring up any “threads” and then we could make sure that we had enough time.

8. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This sounds like a great idea to get every ones ideas in on different discussions. I would advise anyone with a thought for a thread to bring it up on the Tuesday night discussion group and we will all go over the many facets of the topic. This will be so cool.

Thanks Forest

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    North Star and Forest like this.
  9. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest, GREAT idea! It makes me think about conferences. I've attended some really great ones but the best take-aways have usually been the water cooler chat in between sessions or at meal times. Structure serves its purpose but there's something more organic and lively when connection just happens.

BTW, can I just say this…Herbie, Forest and Bruce…you guys do a fantastic job moderating the calls. The importance of that cannot be understated. Thank you!

10. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Thank You so much North Star and your words of wisdom always ring truth in the Discussions. Your just Awesome:)

11. Becca

Becca Well known member

North Star, I agree!! We've got some pretty spectacular facilitators. All three of them put in so much time and effort to make the discussions as awesome as they are!

@tgrllyct and anyone else who listens afterward, here's the recording. You can listen to it using the audio player below, or you can download it as an mp3 by right-clicking on this link (or the link below the audio player) and choosing to save it to your computer. Alternatively, you can also watch the discussion and see our glorious moderators Herbie, Bruce, and Forest on camera! Click here to see the discussion unfold in real time. (It might take a few seconds to load.)

Click here to download the mp3 audio
    Next week: SPECIAL EVENT! Former Sarno patient and TMS author Steve Conenna is joining the discussion group Tuesday to talk about his book, Use Your Mind to Heal Your Body, and his recovery from 15+ years of chronic back pain. Click here to read more.

12. Eric "Herbie" Watson

This was such a fun Discussion. Lots of our friends showed up and we all had a blast. Its good to lighten up and enjoy yourself in times of distress. You will release those feel good hormones everyone talks about. Yes, we use those extensively in healing from tms. A lot of times folks with tms haven't laughed in years.

Speaking up and being heard is another tool that so many of us do that has healing effects. I would advise everyone to get on the call in this coming Tuesday. Speak up and say what's on your mind and get all the know how you can. This is knowledge therapy and the knowledge you know will effect a cure if you know the right stuff. Getting to know the right stuff for me was asking how did you do this and how did you do that? How did you not hurt then or why did you do it like that?

I wanted to get into the mind of those that healed and I did. That was how I got their knowledge into my body by asking all the questions whether the brightest ones or ones I should have known. Their is no bad questions. The only bad questions are the ones you never ask. Now I know when everything is being laid out its good to listen but there's always those pivotal questions that drive your knowledge home

Becca likes this.
  13. tigerlilly

Oooh - thanks so much, Becca. I just found your post now and am listening to the recording. :)