1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Years of anxiety - Tension everywhere

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jonconner, Jun 25, 2021.

1. jonconner

jonconner Peer Supporter

Hi Everyone

I’ve posted on the forum before about my urination, tension and rushing symptoms.

I’m gonna go into my issues my in depth here with the hope of getting some guidance.

10 years ago following an earthquake I developed chronic stress and anxiety. I was worrying all the time about my life, my job, unfulfilled dreams and goals, mistakes etc.

Before I knew it insomnia, heart palpitations, eye pain, headaches, electricity feeling through my body, waking up with chronic tension and continuing throughouit the day, diarrhea and more.

I still have a lot of these symptoms to some degree, my sleep has improved the most.

I then lost a business two years ago and developed “prostatitis” basically unconsciously clenching my pelvic floor and lower abs, this has led to frequency, urgency, penis pain. Which all has added a new level of worry.

My system is so sensitized, I’m always on edge and tension builds throughout the day.

I feel there is no peace!!! Only when I sleep!!

Where should I start?

Bless you all for any help you can give me.

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Claire Weekes audios is the best thing ever for anxiety. Meditation for stabilizing your nervous system. A lot of patience and persistence.

Allund and miffybunny like this.
  3. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

If you relax your jaw it will relax your face muscles and your pelvic floor. (The pelvic floor needs to have some tension to it to hold in your internal organs of course, but the muscles can get 'overwound', so to speak.)

I had TMJ and severe pelvic floor pain for over 2 years and the advice in the following article got rid of it. (I'm female and this webpage http://sarahsmithstrength.com/new-blog/2019/9/9/did-you-know-that-your-tongue-habits-effect-your-pelvic-floor (Did you know that your tongue habits effect your pelvic floor? — Sarah Smith Strength) is geared towards women, but the same applies to men.)

It says:

"DID YOU KNOW THAT YOUR TONGUE HABITS EFFECT YOUR PELVIC FLOOR?

The hypoglossal neurons that innverate the tongue are coordinated with the phrenic neurons that control the diaphragm.

What the heck does that mean?

It means your tongue, it’s position and activity throughout the day has the power to automatically or deliberately activate the diaphragm, signalling it to lower so you can breath better!

Struggling to breath with the diaphragm, place your tongue on the roof of your mouth behind your teeth! Then it can better tell the diaphragm, “Hey dude, contract so you can suck air into the lungs.”

Using our diaphragm to breath all day long ALSO tells the pelvic floor to move up and down through IT’S full range of motion.

What happens when we don’t breathing with the diaphragm?

Shallow breathing up into the neck and shoulders tells the nervous system to RAMP UP, making muscles twitchy leading to more pain and tense, stiff muscles, increased symptoms too!

This ALSO causes neck and shoulder pain and tightness.

SO if you have pelvic floor problems, and if you don’t, one of the BEST things you can start doing is practicing keeping your tongue the roof of your mouth throughout your day to become a more effective nasal/diaphragmatic breather.

By facilitating better breathing through the nose and with the diaphragm you help your pelvic floor move through it’s full range of motion so that it remains supple and responsive to better support your organs
    (ahem, prolapse peeps) and reduce tension and pressure in the pelvis (ahem, over-recruiters/Type A peeps).

It also calms the nervous system, which positively impacts digestion, mood, strength..."

A normal resting tongue position really is key for relaxing your pelvic floor and jaw and can be found by placing your tongue against the roof of your mouth as if making a “clucking/clicking” sound. Ideally the front 1/3 of the tongue should rest upwards, just behind the front teeth. This is considered to be the best position for your tongue to help keep the jaw muscles more relaxed.

I put 'post it' notes around my house which just said 'tongue' on them - to remind me to put my tongue in the correct position to relax my jaw. I also made a point of noticing my tongue position in association with certain daily activities, e.g. after I ate I'd make a point of noticing my tongue position and altering it to the correct position and every time I climbed any stairs etc (just choose your activities). I kept doing this until it became automatic and natural - a new, good habit (by rewiring your brain - through neuroplasticity). Doing this persistently and gently (I didn't mentally beat myself up every time I found my tongue was in the wrong position) worked for me.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    TG957 likes this.
  4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Have you ever been diagnosed with PTSD following the earthquake? It may be helpful to seek out a therapist that specializes in this as there are some specific treatments that have been shown to be effective for many people with PTSD.

TG957 and BloodMoon like this.
  5. bizkit

bizkit Newcomer

whenever my tongue flares up my stomach follows immediately so I totally believe this