1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Worsening symptoms

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Barbara M, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Barbara M

Barbara M Peer Supporter

When I journal or talk about my fears or anger, my symptoms get worse. Does anyone else experience this?

Barbara

2. Lori

Lori Well known member

Barbara, I don't remember if mine got worse. However, it's important to not stay "stuck" when talking out or journaling. Important to end a session on a positive note. One sentence will do.

I remember being stuck on something I remembered from kindergarten. So I was working in another program a few years ago and talking about this event with the leader who was a PsyD (totally unrelated to TMS or anyting Sarno). I asked her after going through the angry, sad, afraid, guilty part of the "cycle" we did and got to the part of what was the pain of the situation which was easy, but then next up was the reward for the situation. I had no idea. She suggested "how about--I am ready to heal this hurt?" and that worked for me.

so any tiny morsel is good--you may even feel a shift of relief. Others also report feeling worse after doing some writing--perhaps not realizing the importance of a positive ending note.

veronica73 likes this.
  3. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

I have definitely felt worse during and after writing. However, it was only temporary, and if anything it helped convince me that the pain was emotional and stress-related.

4. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

I had pain increase or move when I was journaling. I knew it had to be TMS at that point, and that it was on its way out.