1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Worse before better?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jules, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Jules

Jules Well known member

Is that a thing with TMS? I had been doing really well, and was only getting flareups with triggers, such as computer work and stress/anxiety; however, now I have neuropathy in both my arms and even in my legs at times. It’s almost like TMS said, “Well, she hasn’t had these issues, so let’s go there next!” :mad:

It’s worse at night. I lay down on one side and just putting my arm down on top of my other makes it burn and ache, the same with my legs. If I didn’t know any better, I’d think I had RA or something. Not only that, but my left side ribs and shoulder blades hurt almost continuously. Why is it the more TMS work I do, the worse I get?

I still do meditations and trying to rewire my brain. I still do work, excercise, and live, but this neuropathy shit is really NOT fun. It doesn’t help that I have SAD on top of this, and just a few days ago, bought a SAD lamp to cope. So, how many of you got worse before you got better, and then healed completely? I am a little nervous that my brain just doesn’t want to heal, or that it’s taking it’s own sweet time and making things hurt wose in many areas now. :( Should I see if this is something physical, sich as diabetes or RA?

Or, is this still TMS and does it get worse before it gets better? This is the hope I am hanging onto.

birder and EileenS like this.
  2. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

You betcha. This is what the body does in all the natural healing methods from chronic conditions. It's the body and mind trying to fight to keep its state that it knows. In tms terms, I think Sarno called what you are getting the 'Symptom imperative'.

Jules, birder and Click#7 like this.
  3. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

It's wild I get pain from the left hip and then it goes to the right butt then it feels like I am sitting on something across the bottom of my butt ? It's weird. I just say to myself it's TMS and cognitive independence a try & try to stay busy. I think TMS tries to distract me and then I try to distract it back with somatic tracking. Just remember this healing isn't linear. I had 2 good days and then 2 bad days. To hell with TMS. What does "natural healing methods" mean ?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Jules and birder like this.
  4. birder

birder Well known member

It is indeed a wild ride. I agree with Eileen and Click, the brain just doesn't want to let go of that familiar way of being. I've had a flare of old symptoms and also some brand new ones way out of left field. Some days I dread getting out of bed because of what my brain might have in store for me, lol. But two - no, three good things come of this: it validates the TMS diagnosis in a way I can't ignore, it forces me to act and feel differently, and I'm slowly getting to a place where the outcome of my day isn't dependent on my pain levels. So yeah, it sucks, but it really IS a good sign! And it sucks.

Jules and Timbercat like this.
  5. c90danwaiel

c90danwaiel Peer Supporter

*Raises hand. I remember the first week I started TMS work. The pain was twice as bad. Then it started shifting.

6. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

I meant acupuncture and those types of healing.

7. Jimnat7

Jimnat7 Peer Supporter

Going through neuropathy stuff myself. I have numbness and twitching in both feet. I fight between whether it is a medical problem or tms again. In the past everything has been tms so why wouldn't this. But it is scary the symptoms the mind can create. Hang in there and you'll beat this. Key is convincing yourself it's tms and not something horrible. That's what I struggle with.

8. Marinedad

Marinedad Well known member

Yes it does suck