1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Will stress cause TMS "flares" once TMS is "resolved"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by music321, Feb 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. music321

music321 Well known member

I became certain that my problems are, at least in part, the result of TMS when I was using guided imagery to revisit the past. Afterwards, my back started hurting.

In the grander scheme, I have trouble thinking. It is so bad, that if I were in school, I'd have to drop out. This started as the result of a nutritional supplement not being tolerated well, during a period of stress.

I have to wonder, will periods of stress always lead to "flares", or is it possible to be cured of TMS to the point that stressful situations will no longer cause flares?

Thanks.

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

I think everyone is different! It's part of human nature to have occasional aches and pains, at least some of which are TMS-caused in many people. Hopefully with work, your TMS will lessen and you'll be able to identify when a pain is TMS. Just knowing that should help it resolve quicker. I've been working on this for a couple months and seem to have some "flares" with stress or other emotions but not nearly as badly as before. Just knowing that the flare-up is TMS and not something more serious should help.

3. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

I 'flared' about a hundred times a day when i started this tms work, but after 22 years of illness i was bound to take some time to solve. After 2 years work I got about 90% better and only 'flared' here and there. Now it is almost 4 years on - I rarely have a flare - but when i do - i always think 'what is the psychological trigger for this? I assume every pain is tms until proved otherwise! It is working well and i now have a wonderful, pain free life, doing all the stuff i want to do. I am very careful with the 'areas' where i know 'triggers' lurk, so family stresses - I handle with a lot of thought and consideration, so that i am kind and fair to family - but just as kind and fair to myself!
    Once you know what your triggers are - be alert to them, but don't fret over them, kindness to yourself is the best policy!

karinabrown, Jules and Ellen like this.