1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Why sleeping is the best meditation

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by mike2014, Dec 26, 2015.

1. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    Simplicity and Ellen like this.
  2. mike2014

I thought I'd post this article from The Huffington Post, which goes hand in hand with the above Ted Talk...

How Sleep And Meditation Really Affect Your Brain

Here's what the science says.
    Jan 22, 2016
    Scientists have long known that sleep and meditation can lower stress, improve memory, and might even help with maintaining a healthy weight, among other health benefits.

But what else can these practices do to our brains, and how so?

The Huffington Post recently sat down with Dr. Edward Boyden, neuroscientist and associate professor at MIT Media Lab, at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, to discuss the hunt for evidence behind how sleep and meditation affect us on a neurological level.

"People have been studying how sleep might actually help with, potentially, things like the clearance of toxins and byproducts of the metabolic process that you want to get out of the brain," Boyden said.

In other words, our brains flush out toxins -- such as damaging molecules associated with neurodegeneration -- that build up during our waking hours.

This cleaning process not only helps to keep our brains healthy, but also might shed light on why sleep is important for creativity and insight -- two benefits also associated with meditation.

"I think that there are many traditions, such as meditation, that can help us be more attuned to what our mind really wants," Boyden said. "I found it to be very helpful in helping deal with all the pressures and different drives and motivations that are important, and yet, you can only be doing one thing at a time."

To learn more about sleep and meditation, watch the video on the Huffington Post site, sorry I was unable to embed the the video, the link is:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/sleep-meditation-brain_us_56a28033e4b0404eb8f1824f

Simplicity likes this.
  3. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Thanks for sharing this, @mike2014. Sleep is crucial for our overall health and well-being.

mike2014 likes this.
  4. mike2014

@Simplicity, I know there are differing views with regards to what a "healthy" amount of sleep is. I'd say, one probably doesn't need as much sleep if they have a healthy mind set and are not prone to mind-body syndromes. However, if one is suffering from mind body illnesses it's important to allow ample time for the mind to rest and realign.

Simplicity likes this.
  5. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Like with most things. ^_^

Yep, for sure.

It's not only about the time, but the quality of sleep. As you know I've been looking into 'circadian rhythm therapy' and it has helped me a lot. Mainly:

- Spend time outdoors each day, in bright light (at least 30 minutes).
    - Limit artificial light in the evening.
    - Use blackout curtains.
    - Have a set bedtime.

I make sure to shut down all electronics at least an hour before going to bed, it helps me wind-down and I can spend some time coloring my mandalas, it's really relaxing. When I have stayed up watching something (or been online) I always have trouble falling asleep and to quiet my mind.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2016
    mike2014 likes this.
  6. mike2014

Excellent tips.

It may be worth creating a thread called "healthy sleeping habits" and put it out to the Forum and find out what others do.

Simplicity likes this.
  7. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Great idea!

mike2014 likes this.