1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Why Pain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by booboo, Apr 28, 2017.

1. booboo

booboo New Member

I'm not convinced that Pain is the main reason for TMS....(Pain as a distraction)....would not "Denial" be just as (maybe more) an effective a tool for the unconscious mind to use?

Is it because this is a Pain Forum that Pain is highlighted?

Does Denial have any role to play?

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I think many of us also use denial as a defense mechanism against confronting and feeling difficult emotions. However, I think the use of physical symptoms is more effective as it keeps us so fixated on the body that other thoughts and emotions are not likely to intrude. I have personally had difficult emotions break through denial, where I found myself reacting emotionally to a trigger, but with no conscious awareness of why. Once I was able to make to the connection, my physical symptoms became worse and I developed new ones to keep me from feeling the emotions.