1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

which treatment prog?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by cherrybomb, Apr 9, 2013.

1. cherrybomb

cherrybomb Peer Supporter

Hi i'm ready to start doing something alittle more structered and was wondering if all the programmes im looking at are basically the same at their core. I just dont know which to plump for , does it matter? i was thinking of doing either the structered prog on here, the howard schubiner 28 day prog or a treatment prog with a tms practitioner ( i think its called sirpa...)

or is the point more that i just start one ?!

eric watson likes this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

the sep program is great cherrybomb
    Howerd shubiner is awesome
    so start where your heart leads you

cherrybomb and UnknownStuntman like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Cherrybomb - love your photo, by the way:cool:

The SEP on our wiki is free and pretty easy to work (or as hard as you want to make it ;)) . If you finish that and want more, Dr. Schu's workbook is more in-depth (some people report having a hard time sticking to it). Personally, I've been really excited lately by the interviews from the Self Acceptance Project, which is a free series introducing us to 24 of the authors and teachers who publish with SoundsTrue. Here's the thread where Veronica introduced us to the Project, with the link to sign up (all of the past interviews are available for download) and where we've been discussing it: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/self-acceptance.1685/#post-9758

I think SIRPA is Georgie Oldfield's program(me) in the UK, right? I've heard that it's pretty awesome, but kind of pricey. Although not as pricey as private psychotherapy, right? You could also do a search on discussions here about Monte Hueftle's self-help program, which some people have also found very helpful after finishing the SEP.

Have fun!

4. UnknownStuntman

UnknownStuntman Peer Supporter

Hey Cherrybomb,

I liked the program in this book, because it also has a goal for each week: Freedom from Fibromyalgia : The 5-Week Program Proven to Conquer Pain (Nancy Selfridge) It's about two hours of "work" every day which was okay for me since I don't work. Somebody who's working might stretch it out. I liked that Saturdays and Sundays are for reviewing what I learned during the week.

Claire Weekes also developed a great and very simple method, which she repeats over and over again in her books or CDs. If you see yourself in her words (anxiety, fear of facing other people, too much attached to self/symptoms, fear of symptoms etc.), her books might be very helpful. In many regards she describes my own symptoms better than Dr. Sarno. Dr. Sarno is great, though, of course.

cherrybomb and eric watson like this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

Great advice from US. Claire Weekes' book Hope and Help For Your Nerves was the second book I read after The Divided Mind. It was immensely helpful for my anxiety as well as confirming everything I was learning about TMS.

eric watson likes this.
  6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

yes I agree with jan and us, Claire weekes is great for your nerves
    I didn't know I could be free from twenty years of anxiety till Claire weekes told me how
    praise good for the good folks here at the site too, jan is our Claire
    your that kinda love I see jan

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. JanAtheCPA

8. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I think that those are all great programs. Recently I've been hearing good things about Brady's "Pain Free For Life" program. It includes videos and, I think, a workbook that you can only get on his site, though I don't know if they are still available. You can research any of the programs by typing the name in at search.tmswiki.org . It's just like Google, except everything on it is about TMS. If you find anything that's out of date, just post about it in the "Improving our programs" subforum and someone will be happy to fix it.

I don't know if it necessarily matters which one you choose - or, at least, it may be impossible to know which one is best for you at the start. I suspect that they are all very good and that you should just take a look at a couple that look good to you and go with the one that feels best. If you try more than one, please let us know what you learn.

9. cherrybomb

great thanks folks, yes jan Sirpa is quite pricey so im going to try a free / book prog. first.

I find i keep putting it off possibly because 1. im worried about what to do if it doesnt help. 2. i feel like i want an expert to guide me through the process, you know some one in a white coat! x

10. cherrybomb

yes claire weeks sounds like she could help me too

11. Eric "Herbie" Watson

cherry bomb I think the white coat you refer to is a Dr. in the field that looks at the symptoms mostly and stays structural
    as you know , and I mean this sincerely that we all had our doubts
    the choice is yours and a good tms therapist or coach or doctor would be just what the Dr ordered if you too want or need guidance
    these post at tms wiki are awesome guidance systems and the other great programs laid out
    here to heal are awesome , they will give you guidance .
    just think this too shall pass- see you cant be impatient, this impatience will slow the healing process also.
    when we gain our patience though being mindfulness
    and practicing calming meditations while using tms healing therapy youll start to recover
    Put all your heart in and whats the worst that could happen?
    well youll become stronger like when you were full of energy in your youthfulness
    your thinking will become sharper
    in mindfulness the ageing process even slows doun
    in other words, youll develop extreme inner joy cause your directing your thoughts
    for your wants needs or desires
    tms healing goes with the law of attraction and it does bring overall healing
    spirit soul and body
    its a journey I have yet to see (if dedicated) anyone get let doun
    its a no brainer- you learn how your mind works
    you learn how to work your mind
    you learn completeness of spirit
    and after these occur- your body
    begins to heal from all the anger -anxiety- stress- and fear weve picked up over our lifetimes
    of course after releasing too. these are all tool and great tools
    like to hear back- bless you

12. JanAtheCPA

OMG, I can totally relate to this fear! It's a form of procrastination, and procrastination is ALL about our brain trying to protect us, from failure or disappointment. When you realize that's what it's doing, you can say "thank you, brain, I realize that I might be disappointed, but I'll survive that, and I need to find out one way or another". Then you just do it.

Easier said than done, I know. I'm an expert procrastinator :p

Jan

tarala and cherrybomb like this.
  13. cherrybomb

oh wow i didnt know that yes youre right protection from disappointment and stress i guess, interesting.
    And thanks eric! i think thats one of my things at the minute wanting a doctor to confirm yes its tms x

14. JanAtheCPA

I never saw a TMS doc. I saw numerous other health professionals who all said there was nothing wrong with me, other than stress and anxiety. All I needed was to discover Dr. Sarno, and I never looked back.

Which is not to say I'm "cured" - life-long anxiety is, I believe, very tough to turn around (after 62 years). But I like to say that my relationship with my anxiety is totally different now, and many of my physical symptoms simply disappeared (others not so much, but I'm workin' on 'em)

Jan

15. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Jan's post is right on the mark, I think. Sadly, most medical people are blind to the profound interaction of mind and body and their "help" may not be helpful at all. It would be great to see a TMS professional, of course, but if that's difficult or impossible many people, including me, have made tremendous progress reading the TMS books (and related material) and working to apply those insights. Just start somewhere and then keep going! I think you will be astonished by your progress unless you let your natural doubts stop you from moving forward with the information on this site.

16. Eric "Herbie" Watson

you do know im about self healing
    that's all I talk about-
    I self healed by reading sarno
    sarno pulled all the studys I already knew together for that uh huh moment
    and steveo gave me the gall to just get up and do it.
    it took me, my brain to accomplish it, either way, what we know combined with studys
    getting a tms doctor or therapist to lead us if were stuck is beneficial to others
    its about winning the race, and that you will