1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

When you begin to think psychological and feel intense anxiety all day long....

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Dexy, Jan 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dexy

Dexy Peer Supporter

So, I have zero doubt my symptoms are TMS.

I am now thinking psychologically and facing my fear head on.

I feel intense fear and anxiety now, and have for the past couple of days. This is since I really began telling myself to remove the eyes from my symptoms and go within to what I am feeling...and what I am feeling is terrified and panicky.

Does anyone have experience with overcoming this? Will this pass? Does this mean I am on the right track? I know I'm overanalyzing right now and this is my TMS panicky reptilian brain taking hostage my thoughts, but I am looking for some soothing from you all, I suppose!

I have already looked into the Tapping and observing my thoughts, I just did yoga. I do these practices. However, whenever I shift thoughts away from physical pain to psychological, there it is, FEAR. Which means ALL DAY LONG I FEEL FEAR!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Dexy. Dr. Sarno says our our symptoms may get stronger as our belief in TMS emotions causing pain becomes stronger. Our subconscious wants us to discover the emotional causes of our pain. Fear is your Inner Bully trying to make doubt TMS. You are thinking psycologically, which is great, but are you journaling to discover the repressed emotions inside you that cause the pain which can show up as fear?

3. Dexy

Dexy Peer Supporter

I didn't know that Sarno said that our symptoms may get stronger as our belief in TMS emotions causing pain becomes stronger; is this the extinction burst phenomenon? If so, then I am on the right track!

I have always loved journaling since I was a little girl, and I journal as much as possible (I have a 7 month old baby and a 3 year old son; it's ON from the moment my feet hit the ground in the morning--they are both napping now, ahhh, so I will journal for a few minutes after I respond here:).

I think I am getting caught up trying to do everything right, to figure it all out perfectly, to become an anxiety-free person as much as possible, and all of these thing are causing their own subtle amounts of pressure. It's such a dance! So many contradictions and tiny tweaks. I am finding my way.

Well, I hope I am on the right track! The thing is, I don't want to energize the feeling of anxiety now, because that becomes my new preoccupation, "If I can get rid of the anxiety, then EVERYTHING will be great!". It's a very important step that I am really understanding on a gut level that my physical symptoms are not the cause of my issues. However, now I am tasked with better managing my fear and anxiety. I've recently become quite obsessed with tackling my anxiety; it seems I always need something to latch on to...it's the OCD in me.

Journalling is a great way to do that, thanks for the reminder and nudge! I am off to write....

4. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

I feel this way too. Sometimes when I have an inner shift and then all of a sudden I am in an unknown place. But when I can isolate that little girl - talk to her -I find she is afraid of things that already have happened. Things that happened in the past. And then I feel free of the fear. Yes, It is very freeing.

5. Crissyxox

Crissyxox Peer Supporter

Ok. So I experienced this exact same thing in my first month. I have realized by talking to my tms therapist that the anxiety is just the brain trying even harder to trick you. My anxiety consequently is covering up a lot of sadness and anger. The brain just kicks things into high gear when you start catching on. In my experience, my anxiety has decreased and continues to do that. I don't think I actually suffer from an anxiety disorder just misplaced repressed emotions that are really insistent to stay hidden. Could that be why you have experienced an increase???