1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 14 When does the muscle tightness go away?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by PeoplePleaser1, Sep 11, 2013.

1. PeoplePleaser1

PeoplePleaser1 New Member

I feel like I have 100% accepted the fact that I have TMS and have made good progress on understanding why I'm having the pain which has greatly reduced my symptoms. I'm still working through the learning activities and journaling.

I was very physically active before my last flare up and once I read Sarno's book, I wanted to go back to my physical activity (running, exercise classes, yoga). For the most part, my pain is gone, but I still have residual muscle tension/tightness which I feel especially during and after running.

My question is - when does the residual tension/tightness go away? How long does it take to heal? Or is the answer: don't focus on it! :) Interested in others' experience, thoughts?

2. Stella

Stella Well known member

I have it come and go all the time. I do basically ignore it knowing it is benign and meaningless. I also see it as a warning bell that something is still going on in my mind. It tells me it is time to start investigating what has happened that bothers me.

I go over everything that has happened during the day. Every interaction examining each thought. I don't have a clue when I am angry. It just immediately goes into my body as physical pain, as you said tension and tightness in my thighs, IT band, butt muscles, shin splints or abdominal tightness and/or I feel the dark cloud of depression float into my mind. November 1 will be when I started the program last year. For me I believe it will be a lifetime of examining my thoughts knowing the immediate impact to my body.

I walk 4-6 miles each day to help with the anxiety and the always lifting of my spirits. I feel the tightness afterwards too. Sounds like you are making great progress. I try to focus on the physical symptoms that are gone and not on the ones left behind.

3. Endless luke

Endless luke Well known member

I'm struggling with this question too so take my answer with a grain of salt but, yes, I think the answer is to ignore and to try and either think about your emotions or to be present.