1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

When anxiety attack is welcome

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by TG957, Mar 20, 2016.

1. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I noticed that for the last year or so, I have not had anxiety or depression attacks (my last TMS outbreak started about 6 months ago) which used to be just part of my life. So when an anxiety attack came at 3 am, instead of popping a xanax pill, I turned on John Kabat-Zinn's talk on anxiety and let myself FEEL through it. In 30 minutes, I was calm again and asleep.

My feelings, welcome! I can deal with you!

2. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

This is a great way to respond, good for you, @TG957!

It has been a long time since I had a panic attack and the only way to get rid of it was to face the feelings of fear, let them wash over me without reacting to them and then they ebbed out. When you don't give power to the fear it goes away - easier said than done sometimes, but it's true.

3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Wow, that's an amazing outcome, TG! Congrats on being so in tune to your emotions. Imagine if someone had once told you that you'do have the power to respond like that. Would you have believed it?!

4. TG957

Gigi, sadly (or funny, depending how you look at it), if I had had a slightest idea that the right thing to do would be to let it be, I would have learned to do it long ago! That's how I divorced from my depression of 20+ years - by learning that each attack will wash away one day. Anxiety was a newer experience, joint at the hip with insomnia. I am forever grateful to Dr. Sarno for teaching me about the power of subconscious and my responsibility for living my emotions instead of shoving them under the rug. Pain is a good teacher!

Tennis Tom likes this.
  5. TG957

Yes! That's it!

Simplicity likes this.