1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What we resist... persists

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Michael Reinvented, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Michael Reinvented

Michael Reinvented Peer Supporter

Dear TMS community,

I found this interview today. An extremely moving example of " the work" of Byron Katie.

Just reading it gave me strength and great insight into how trying to "control" our bodies is really quite counter productive. I hope the same happens for all of you.

A key assertion here is that all physical pain is projected in The Mind.

http://www.byronkatie.com/2009/07/body_in_ruins_i_want_my_body_t.htm

MR

2. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

I love Byron Katie, check her interviews out on Youtube...really amazing and moving.

In your post I especially liked it when she said / wrote " True freedom is freedom from the mind. You take the pills, you’re free from the mind. When the body no longer functions, the mind cannot identify as a this. Everyone gets free. Sooner or later. So let’s free ourselves of the mind." Byron Katie

That sums it up as TMS'rs, we are trying to free ourselves from our repressed thoughts and feelings (created in our minds).

Wow...thanks for posting ;)

eric watson likes this.
  3. tarala

tarala Well known member

Hi Michael, I love Byron Katie. I think they should put her book Loving What Is in schools, and teach kids how to become aware of how their thinking affects their emotions and bodies. There would be a lot less TMS when they were adults, not to mention crime and relationship problems.

eric watson likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Does anyone remember the name of the (Greek/Roman?) philosopher/physiocian who said
    most of his patients with pain were not suffering because of anything structural but from stress?

I read it in Sarno or Brady or Ozanich.

eric watson and Jilly like this.
  5. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Page 18 GPD : "In my experience structural abnormalities of the spine rarely caused back pain" ~ Sarno - Healing Back Pain

Is that the quote, or is there another ?

eric watson likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

That's good, but there was an ancient Greek or Roman who said stress causes most of our pain

Jilly likes this.
  7. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Walt, I'll keep looking...I know I have read it too !

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

thanks, i will too