1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What to tell myself...

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mamalew, May 23, 2016.

1. mamalew

mamalew Newcomer

So, i'm sure this has been asked many times, so forgive me if you're repeating yourself. Today I'm on Day 1 - what do you tell yourself when you start focusing on the pain? Do you just say this isn't real - and not focus on it.. haha. I'm trying but I"m an over thinker and I feel like I'm going to that place over and over. I'm not feeling any other specific emotions at the moment..

eskimoeskimo likes this.
  2. Ines

Ines Well known member

This is what I did the first week. I'd go to a quiet place and try to be calm and tell myself this -
    You are 100% normal.
    You are 100% mechanically normal.
    You are 100% bio-chemically normal.
    There is nothing structurally wrong with you.
    Your brain manifested itself into migraines because you were incredibly stressed and pressured.
    Then, I would mentally list the things I went through around the time my migraines started. Be as patient as you can with yourself.
    While I was mentally listing, I would try to catch the emotion that I was feeling. Sometimes I could recognize it right away, sometimes I'd just have to settle on one from the past.
    Once you think of one emotion or 2 I would relate it to something I went through.
    Then, I would try to stay really calm and imagine that emotion and experience starting at my toes and moving up my body. Go really slowly and try to breath deeply and slowly. Imagine these emotions physically in your body working their way up and go through each body part slowly (toes, feet, ankles, calves, knees.. etc.)
    When you get to your head, really stop and breathe and put those emotions/situations into a balloon. You can do them all at once or start with a new one and collect them at the end.
    When you really feel you have calmed down and are ready to let go of those emotions metaphorically and visually let them go into the air. Wave good bye to them. You can even color code different emotions of balloons and keep repeating day after day.
    Once you really let them go then start to mentally list all the things you will do once you start feeling better.
    Lastly, I would thank God for everything I have been through and then I would mentally list everything I am grateful for.

This would all take about 20-30 minutes. I did it for about 2 weeks twice a day. Then, all of a sudden I didn't have to do it anymore. Not that my pain is gone but now I'm on to new mental exercises. This is what I did at first and it really got me through the first couple of weeks when my anxiety was high.

Ellen, ezer, Freeange and 2 others like this.
  3. brianmfuller43

brianmfuller43 Newcomer

Hi Ines,
    That was a wonderful tip.

Ines likes this.
  4. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

great tips!

5. Sudonym

Sudonym New Member

Wow I'm going to try this

6. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

To be totally honest I do not fare well with being overly polite to my pain. I understand what people are trying to communicate and I love that it works for them. For me though it falls into milky over-thinking, conscientious blah. I will not be obsequious with my pain. This kind of false bonhomie is exactly what got me into this situation to begin with.

Readers of a gentle disposition turn away now.

Most effective responses bar none are f*** off or f*** it. Or No. Substitute your expletive of choice.

Bhamgirl likes this.
  7. Leonor007

Leonor007 New Member

Haha! I agree with you plum. I also can't be polite to my pain. I think that people tend to compare that to the inner child that is hurt. The pain is the anger though and there are different approaches. I tend to talk to my different personalities and settle the discussion. I imagine I have the upper hand and I am making the rules. The most important part for me is deprogram the pain. I already know what created the pain. It's become stubborn though.

plum likes this.
  8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Exactly. My inner child can play with puppies, have long silly cuddles and ice-cream till its sick. My pain however can hit the road.