1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What to do when you don't have a problem with fully feeling your emotions...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by BloodMoon, Jul 28, 2018.

1. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

I've even swapped my house doorbell for one that flashes as I couldn't turn the old one down low enough to stop me jumping out of my skin. (I've not had the 'pleasure' of hearing the Rihanna song, but I can well imagine what it's like!)
    I've only being doing shavasana for a few days, but I too think it's great - really relaxing and, as I was saying to Plum, the time just flies by and, for once, it's something I look forward to doing that's good for my potential healing. The gong bath sounds great; I would love to experience thhat - I use a meditation gong bell app to regularly remind me to focus on my breath which doesn't make me jump, so I can see how you would have been fine with it. Thank you so much for mentioning yoga nidra - which I'd never heard of before. I've just looked it up and see that there are some free yoga nidra sessions on YouTube, so I will definitely try it :)

plum likes this.
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't have a doorbell :)

BloodMoon likes this.
  3. BloodMoon

To feel completely 'at home' in my body again would be wonderful. I'm going to keep up doing the shavasana; it makes a change for something to be good for me that I actually have so far looked forward to doing :) (I give up too easily on so many things, but this feels right.)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    plum likes this.
  4. BloodMoon

Ha ha :)...but I need to hear the amazon delivery driver bringing me my mind/body books! (I do have a door knocker though, so when the flashing 'doorbell' packs up, I'll just leave them to use that.)

5. healingfromchronicpain

healingfromchronicpain Well known member

Great thread. So many suggestions of things to try that I haven’t yet. I’m currently in one of my not trying anything phases. Seems I do the same in these phases as in the trying stuff phases these last many years. But once I get fed up again, I want to try some.

I’ve done regular EFT but it didn’t have any long term impact on my pain. EMDR and somatic experiencing (SE—per Peter Levine) were both helpful to some degree. Myofascial release bodywork helped me immensely because it helped bring my repressed childhood memory to my consciousness and I actual felt the emotions that were physically stuck in my physical body. (I saw professionals for all these things.)

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the info.

Also, I think I got lost a little in all of it ... what is rtt?

Also I learned that my startle reflex is common for those of us who have experienced sexual abuse. It’s not fear of the thing causing the noise, it’s a trigger of our hyper-vigilant alertness that is a result of having experienced trauma (or at least that’s my understanding) :)

Thanks!

plum and BloodMoon like this.
  6. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Hmm...you have me wondering whether the reason I prefer body-oriented healing is precisely because of trauma and how this alienated me from my own body.

I long took refuge in my mind and in intellectualising emotions rather than feeling them and feeling safe with the sensations of my body.

I shall reflect on this.

Thank you for prompting these insights.

Plum x

7. BloodMoon

Hi healingfromchronicpain,

I understand that rtt is rapid transformational therapy. I haven't tried it myself, but here's a link to a website about it https://www.rapidtransformationaltherapy.com/whatisrtt/

Thanks for posting about your experiences of EFT, EMDR, SE and Myofascial release. I was thinking about trying the latter a while back and what you've said has rekindled my interest in it. I'm like you, I go through periods of trying mind/body techniques and other times I've done nothing. Sometimes all the 'doing' of stuff to try to get better overwhelms and exhausts me..and then disappoints me when I don't see much, if any, progress, so I stop. Finding this forum and being able to 'dip into it' for encouragement when I need to should, hopefully, help me this time round though :)

I'm not sure what heightened my startle reflex - years of doing phone work dealing with the public in my adult life and before that being a sensitive child frightened of my parents might account for it; I'm definitely hyper-vigilent.

I hope whatever mind/body work you decide to try next will be the final piece to the puzzle to getting you well.

8. healingfromchronicpain

healingfromchronicpain Well known member

Thanks!! I started reading about rtt and watched some videos. Very intriguing! Plasticity, yes! We’ll see if I can get my brain on board :) And if you want to know more about MFR or other things I tried, I describe my experiences in my website (listed under my profile).

BloodMoon likes this.
  9. BloodMoon

Thanks for that - I will definitely look at your website :)