1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What side of your body is your pain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by dharn999, May 22, 2017.

1. dharn999

dharn999 Well known member

while working out today, my symptoms started to move around a bit and went from my left butt/back (where it's been pretty much all the time) to my right shoulder blade and neck.. I just told myself that my neck and shoulder are fine because I've done nothing to cause that pain and it went away.. (why I can't do that to my butt is beyond me)

Anyway it got me thinking, what side do others have their most consistent pain and does it mean anything? Please post and let me know

2. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

It's funny you mention that because when I get pains they tend to be on my right side. Not always, but more often. I believe it's because I'm left-handed. Other than that I can't think of any other reason my mind would favor the right side for pain locations.

3. dharn999

I am right handed but symptoms on the left sise

4. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

That's like me then. Perhaps we believe the side of our body opposite our strong or dominant side is weak and therefore more apt to be inured. That's just my speculation of course, but seems to make sense. What do you think?

5. Betsy4ever

Betsy4ever New Member

I have a similar situation with pain on the right side though its not towards lower end. I am also left handed i think you got the logic.

Enrique likes this.
  6. dharn999

I think there definitely could be something to it. it would be interesting to hear what most people have experienced

Enrique likes this.
  7. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

When I had TMS it was primarily on the right side, and I'm right handed. However, I had a traumatic injury to my right arm when I was a child, so maybe that is why my TMS was mostly on the right.

Enrique likes this.
  8. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm left-handed and my TMS symptoms are in my left leg and left glute. Wonder if most people with TMS have symptoms on their left side or is there no consistent pattern for either left or right side? Would think TMS symptoms would be located arbitrarily according to where they were learned (programmed) initially. Don't know of any controlled studies in this department. Somebody out there have data to share?

Enrique likes this.
  9. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Hello All - I am right handed and my symptoms have been on my left side. I wondered why!

10. sofiah

sofiah New Member

It started in my right glute too (they told me i had piriformis syndrome). This was 7 years ago. Then it shifted into my SI joint, then lately the pain shifted to my left glute while the right one is completely fine. The doctors are just telling me I had a weird autoimmune inflammation thing going on but I'm not buying it. The pain has been shifting from the right to the left side and it's mostly muscle spasms and nerve pain. I also had periods of neck pain where I would be paralized for days unable to move then it would go away alone.

11. nick

nick New Member

Hi Sofiah,

I have the same story like you ... also AS- thinking, but nothing helped ( i had tried everything) and there is no inflammation to see ...so, my pain also switched right, left, it started right ( Im right handed) ... in my buttock, SI ... whole leg ...and when I have neck, shoulder pain than my buttock feels ok and it is only on one side, the other feels always nice and than over the night it switchs ... all start when I was 20 ...but until 33 years I only had 5 periods of SI, leg pain and in a month it went away ... now I have it since 2,4 years ... but sometimes it also goes away, but Im not sure why ... it is maybe when Im super happy or when I ignore it ...I work on it , but honestly sometimes Im afraid that it is an inflammation, my mum has AS.

sofiah likes this.
  12. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Like I said, TMS pain is arbitrary and the pain symptoms are arbitrary and programmed (i.e. learned).

Slammer likes this.
  13. sofiah

sofiah New Member

Nick! I KNOW it's really crazy! I do get the fear sometiems that omg what if it's AS and im ignoring it but then again, the pain has weird appearances and doesn't make sense sometimes for me. Like i get muscle spasms instead of hip pain and the spasms are in the glute muscles (they also called this piriformis syndrome)..I also had sciatica before soo it's like how can i have a nerve thing with an inflammatory disease..it never made sense to me..even the doctors recently are looking at me like a lost cause..BTW The last scan done by a chiropractor told me that even though the doctors said i have AS but the xray showed no damage that could be giving me THAT pain i was in..he wanted me to just think that my pelvic was unstable and i needed adjustments. After working with him and going on a low starch diet (to treat AS), my symptoms almost disappeared so I believe it...but then two weeks ago I was laid off from my job and a day after severe pain started. I literally couldnt move for two days and something clicked in my head and I went and looked for Dr Sarno's books that I bought a year ago but completely ignored.

14. Jules

Jules Well known member

Left, particularly, since I had a car accident where a truck t-boned me, and of course hit my left side. (ribs, neck, back, shoulder) After 20 years, it finally went to my right shoulder for about 6 months before it switched back to my left side. So weird.

15. nick

nick New Member

Hi Sofiah,

you are right ... it makes no sense. I also have glute, sciata, hip, lower back ...it switchs and while Im sleeping, there is no pain, after standing up ...it is right or left ...i think, if there were any inflammation it would stay longer or it would be in the joints and by me it is near the joints but I can walk, run, super yoga positions ...only when i have a bad flare up, its like you, i cant walk ... however ... i was for 3 weeks on a journey ... first i had a flare up because I finished my old job and got a new on june ...so there was much stress and I had a lot to do, book the journey and so on ... I was afraid, but I said to myself ...it is ok, you can stay pain ... after a while i felt better, than the journey goes on and i drove to italy ...the night before I got a super flare up, horror, i dont feeled my fear ...in italy and for the rest of my drive i had no pain, because, it was so nice, and i always said, when i feel a little bit, its ok ... 8 days without pain ... so cool. so nice ... now i m back ... and the pain too, not so much, but i think it is because, the nice journey is over, the new job starts and my stress level is high. medication doesnt help, i tried immunosuppressant- thats hard stuff, so the only thing that help for a while is accepting, ignoring and nice distraction. thanx for sharing your story, it gives me hope ;)

16. sofiah

sofiah New Member

Yeah I know!! the other thing that I always remember too was my trips to Cuba the past years. Every time I travel the pain literally disappears. It's like when I am free from stress and near the beach and stress free I have nothing hurting. I also ate a lot of rice and beans in Cuba (because starches are said to cause a lot of AS flare ups) but again no pain. So I start connecting the dots and seeing that there is no logical explanation for the pain. It's weird. If I really had an autoimmune disease it would be there all the time. I have spent so much money on doctors and therapists and haven't improved an inch..before Sarno I felt hopeless everyday but I'm seeing the light now. Goodluck!!! and let's keep our heads up

nick likes this.
  17. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

The friendly reminder: "As long as he is preoccupied with what his body is doing, his symptoms will continue."

This is the most world changing statement Dr. Sarno made, and the most least understood.

BruceMC and Un0wut2du like this.
  18. Un0wut2du

Un0wut2du Peer Supporter

I had an entirely different response about which side etc. Then I saw this post and realized I'd be feeding the beast.