1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What program to try next?? Schubiner or Monte?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mousemom, Aug 7, 2013.

1. mousemom

mousemom Peer Supporter

I am still involved with the SEP but not getting much pain relief. I was thinking of either Dr. Schubiner's program "Unlearn your pain" or Monte Hueftle's program. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am currently having low back pain with a new symptom on the right side of my back (right next to my spine) that feels like tight/tingling pain that won't let up. Not to mention my left side feels extremely weak and I am just worn down. I need help!

2. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

I have both of them and they are really very different. I have gained a lot from them both. Dr Schubiner's is more structured and it is a 28 day program. It is really a lot of work, lots and lots of writing, and if your are an over achiever, perfectionist and really want to so it all in 28 days, it can sometimes be overwhelming. But its GREAT. Monte's is easier to digest and he has a lot of audio, meditations and lectures, which I find incredibly instructive and soothing. He focuses a lot on how to be, how to "think clean" and sit with your emotions. He gives lots of concrete examples and breaks it down so that it is easy to understand and put into practice. I would hate to have to choose between the two, but when I am feeling down and in a lot of pain, Monte's audios are the ones I tend to turn to. But I also listen to Dr Schubiner's mindfulness meditations almost every day.

lavendertealatte likes this.
  3. mousemom

mousemom Peer Supporter

Thanks for the advice. I think either would be great. Just so hard to pick. I keep thinking Monte might be more my speed. I have high anxiety already so Schubiner's might be too intense for me right now.

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

If you have a lot of anxiety then Monte's program could be the right choice for you. The heart of it is to teach you how to change your thoughts in the present moment, and it can be very helpful at reducing your anxiety levels. If you haven't yet, also check out Alan Gordon's TMS Recovery Program. It is definitely a must read.

5. mousemom

mousemom Peer Supporter

Thanks Forest! I have been going through Alan's program & I probably will start Montes soon.

6. Back2-It

Back2-It Peer Supporter

As a supplement to whatever program you choose, I would highly suggest a book that can really serve to explain any program, and that book is "Mental Health Through Will Training". It was written sixty years ago or so, by Abraham Low MD. He was a psychiatrist who treated people of the time --1930's/1940's-- with "nervous illnesses". This is a thick read, but full of knowledge. It has case histories and then explanations by the doctor, Low, in which he examines how people are either successful in overcoming their TMS/anxiety problems, or how they are not, but that they can be supported and learn the right behavior and train their will and thoughts to recover. In the 1950's, he started "Recovery International", which was small group support, before there was such a thing, overseen by a trained medical professional, or a person who had recovered from anxiety and its physical and/or mental phobias. Low gives no quarter, and provides "tough love" to his patients, and does not allow them the indulgence of "self-diagnosis" and retrains their thinking. It is a valuable resource and a great addition, in my opinion, to whatever path you choose towards healing.

mousemom likes this.
  7. Rinkey

Rinkey Peer Supporter

I'm getting into Howard Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain and am finding it very, very helpful. I had a relapse (or whatever you want to call it) and it took me a couple months to figure out that it was TMS! Once I did though, I pulled Divided Mind off the bookshelf and took Dr. Schubiner's book out to learn from a different point of view.
    I like the way he has you make lists and then coorelate issues to one another.

mousemom likes this.
  8. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

It is great to see that Dr. Schubiner's book is helping you Rinkey. I do think it is always helpful, especially with a resurgence of symptoms, to try a couple different things and Unlearn Your Pain is has a lot of different takes on some treatment techniques.