1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What is your opinion of provocation tests?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by hopeandhealing, Jan 30, 2020.

1. hopeandhealing

hopeandhealing Newcomer

Hi,

I was wondering what your opinions of provocation tests are?

Such as the Roos test for Carpal Tunnel and Thoracic Outlet.

How could there not be something structurally going on if these tests reproduce symptoms in exactly the predicted way?

Thank you,

hopeandhealing(for all)

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

The skeptic in me says that perhaps you should be asking yourself how those tests were developed?

Come on, think about it.

Look, you are forgetting one of the most basic and important concepts about TMS, which is the fact that our brains will use harmless weaknesses in our bodies to produce unnecessary pain. It is well known that a huge number of people without pain are actually walking around with structural issues that can clearly be seen with imaging. These are the issues that traditional medical practitioners will blame for pain, but in the end, as we hear over and over again and again, their treatments do nothing for the pain, because those issues are not the true cause of the pain.

TOC and RSI are just like bulging discs: it is perfectly possible and reasonable to have minor structural issues as you age, without having pain. Once you have learned that this is true, it becomes a choice.

TG957 likes this.
  3. hopeandhealing

hopeandhealing Newcomer

Hi, thank you for the reply.

So I guess I don’t quite know what to think about how those tests were developed.

The issue for me is that with this TOS diagnosis, I do have a colder arm, and a weaker pulse, so I know that there is something, I think...compressing the artery. Could mild oxygen deprivation from TMS really cause the arm to go cold, the pulse to be weak? I suppose that is a really “obvious” sign of blood-oxygen deprivation...

But the pulse gets weaker upon provocation therefore showing that when I am in certain positions something is moving to stop blood flow...hence the nerve issues as well.

I am hoping with just regular exercise (I have been extremely sedentary, very very badly sedentary, practically bed ridden from depression, sleeping most of the day for many months...) and stress reduction (I have been INCREDIBLY stressed and affected by a major emotional trauma, the TOS on the left side by my heart like a symbolic broken heart from the grief and terror, right before this started), as well as emotional work, this will improve.

But still, it worries me...this “proof” of blood flow compression...

4. JanAtheCPA

You're really overthinking this, which is typical for the "Type T" TMS personality, but the real problem is that you don't yet understand or accept that our brains are in charge of every physiological process in our bodies, and that physical changes can occur as the result of the psychological process we call TMS.

But they can also be reversed.

Look, you can have all the tests in the world, but the traditional medical establishment still doesn't have the ability to do anything to help you. So why keep going back for more tests? Because it makes them and you feel like you've accomplished something? You haven't.

I strongly recommend that you read the little book that @TG957 wrote and self-published, if you would like proof of physical changes that can be reversed with TMS techniques. She also clearly shows the futility of expecting the traditional medical model to accomplish anything.

Start with this thread: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/cts-carpal-tunnel-syndrome-crps-dystonia-raynauds-full-recovery.22242/ (CTS(Carpal tunnel syndrome), CRPS, dystonia, Raynaud's - full recovery)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    TG957 likes this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

6. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, hopeandhealing, you are in the place where everyone behind a success story on this forum once was. The path starts with doubt. Jan gave you excellent recommendations and pointers.

I am a living (and living well now!) example of how very physical symptoms could be generated by the mind. There are couple other people on this forum that recovered from CRPS, which has very, very physical manifestations. My initial diagnosis was carpal tunnel syndrome and every test they gave me indicated that I had it. I had swollen hands, I could not straighten out my fingers, my nerve conduction study showed indisputable nerve degradation. I was told that I should never put any pressure on my wrists. I am up to 35 push-ups in one set now and I do not have any restrictions on my activity (well, age - maybe). It took me about a year to get over the doubt, but once I did, I healed. We are brainwashed by mainstream medicine to look for a pill or a surgery as a solution. However, the doctor is within us, we just need to listen and think.

In addition to suggesting my modest book as an argument against the misconceptions, I highly, highly recommend this book. You will find storries of people who healed from complete total blindness using mindbody techniques. Can it be more physical than being blind?

https://www.amazon.com/Brains-Way-Healing-Remarkable-Discoveries/dp/014198080X

Start with Success Stories on this site. So many people traveled this path and succeeded. You can do it, too!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. hopeandhealing

hopeandhealing Newcomer

Thank you very much for your replies, I have a lot to think about.