1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What do you do when anxiety surfaces? Sooth, meditate or lean into the beast?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Goldy, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

Not all the time, but I'm starting to feel anxiety at times. Is that me actually starting to feel my emotions? I felt it last night and didn't really know what to do with it. It felt uncomfortable, and I was trying to sleep, so I put my ear buds in and listened to a meditation. What do you do when the anxiety surfaces, try to think about it and lean into the feelings or try to quiet it down with soothing and meditation.

I've gotten rid of a lot of my pain, but the stiffness in my body is with me all the time. I'm patiently waiting for that to go away as well. I don't know if that is lingering doubt or repressing my emotions.

P.B. Lee likes this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

What do you do when anxiety surfaces? Sooth, meditate or lean into the beast?
    My opinion: Yes to all three.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Goldy,

I think this is a smart view of this. It is a change, as pain has subsided, and this is commonly seen. Anxiety is known as another TMS equivalent. So treating it the same way as TMS is smart: what is it that the anxiety is distracting me from? is a basic inquiry which might be helpful. It is also very helpful to simply know it as a form of TMS and not worry about it. It can't hurt you.

Anxiety is known to occur when "the unknown begins to come into awareness." Leaning into it might be to feel it in your body and not run from it. Knowing too that you're not going to "fix it" by thinking about it too much. Try not to be anxious about your anxiety!
    This seems like a good approach in the moment.

The reason I said all three above is that each has its place.

And you may never know, but not worrying about it, being patient, not trying to fix it are strong ways to approach where you are now, in my opinion. You've come a long way! Celebrate this!

Andy

4. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

I have definitely come a long way! It's important to note the holidays are going to bring on more stress to our minds and our bodies. I'm trying to enjoy the process of shopping and planning and slowing down by being mindful instead of running around hectic!

Thanks, Andy!

Aimee88 likes this.
  5. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

hi Goldy, I am in a similar place to you at the moment, My pain has subsided but my other symptoms have not changed, stiffness is one of them. But the worst one is the dreadful anxiety, so it was good to read Andy's advice to you on this thread. Thank you for posting the original question, and I hope things have improved for you. if they have, I'd be v grateful for any advice...

6. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

I have been at this a few months now. The process does work nowa. I am no longer feeling the pain in my lower back and butt, and all that in my mind about not being able to sit is all in the past. So grateful for that, but like you, the stiffness is there. Some of it moves around, but the original stays consistent. I have trouble walking, and I know you have to not let it bother you, but it does. This is probably why the stiffness hasn't left because in my mind, the stiffness is giving my brain the signal that I have something structurally wrong with me. I'm back and forth with it. When I believe this 100 percent and keep at rewiring my brain, I will heal. The best advice I can give is to be very indifferent to the stiffness/pain. Obviously, you cannot ignore it because it's there, but you need to not be afraid of it and give it too much attention. From what I am hearing from everyone, this is what works the best is to just go on with your life; live your life with joy! Do not talk about symptoms to anyone because it reinforces structural; not psychological!

I've read Dr. Schubiner's program, and I've read Dr. Sarno's book and Steven Ozanich's book - all of these I recommend highly as well as this wiki site. If you are on Facebook, join Dan Buglio's Pain Free You private group. He does daily video's and they are very low key and effective. He will answer you if you message him. Everyone has their own way of healing. There's a woman who posted about how she cured herself that I try to follow as well. I journaled at first and do it when I'm trying to "feel my emotions". It was good at first for trying to deal with my childhood trauma and other difficult areas of my life, but it doesn't help for me. I'm also in therapy right now with a doctor who attended Dr. Sarno's lectures. She's good, and we are working on trying to get me to feel my emotions, but it's early on...I am not a person that feels anger, so I'm really trying to stop myself when things happen during the day and feel irritated that someone cut me off in traffic, people hurt my feelings or were rude...usually, I will just repress everything and think I'm immune to feeling, but I've been stuffing it down for a long long time, so I would imagine that it's going to take some time.

As for the anxiety, mine has calmed down, but I think it's because I'm digressing a little. I think the anxiety is a good sign of starting to heal, so when you feel the anxiety, don't dread it. Just let it run through you and do your breathing and soothing.

We are all in this together. I wish you the best!

7. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

I also have problems walking, and it s impossible not to be aware ... thank you for your reply! (I am too anxious to write more at the moment)

8. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

I'm not a doctor, but I have had anxiety pretty badly at times. I think it's all the same TMS, so try not to give in to the anxiety, stiffness or pain. Go for a walk. If walking is a challenge, experience nature. It works wonders for me. I live in a warm climate, so being outdoors is great, but if you live up north, you can go to a museum, aquarium...just get out there and do something that you enjoy doing! Before I learned this was TMS, I didn't go out hardly at all because my whole body was in spasms and stiff, and I was dealing with major depression and anxiety because I had no idea what was going on with me. I was a mess until I found the Curable site and learned about Dr. Sarno, TMS and others. It's taken awhile for it to sink in and learn...

I know I'm stiff, but I push on and try to be indifferent to the pain. I work out with a personal trainer twice a week. He has no clue what's going on with me because he wouldn't understand and/or believe me. I have some limitations, but I do what I can and am getting stronger. Watch Dan Buglio's videos on his Pain Free You Private group! All of them will give you some insight into the TMS process! I watch and listen to them when I'm on an exercise bike, taking a walk or driving in my car. He keeps me on track!

9. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

Another thing I just thought about before I run out...

It's very important to stay in the now and don't let your mind run to the past or future. This is very hard for me to do, but I catch myself often, and then bring myself back to what I'm doing at the very present.