1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Program What differentiates this TMS approach from what I did that could be the key?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by dIK8Lsf3Bl3y4DTtSWEZ, Jul 16, 2017.

1. dIK8Lsf3Bl3y4DTtSWEZ

dIK8Lsf3Bl3y4DTtSWEZ Peer Supporter

My chronic pain started after an infection and an injury. It did not come out of the blue. Yet it stayed. The injury is too small to be detected by modern medicine, which gives me hope.

I want to do the TMS treatment right.

As I understand it, it is about expressing your emotions.

Before reading about this, I did anonymous blogging. I wrote about how I felt about my pain, what I tried about it.

I also shouted in the woods, did exhausting sports.

What differentiates this TMS approach from what I did that could be the key?

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I think it is more about awareness of one's emotions than expression of emotions. Sarno's theory is based on the concept that we repress emotions we are afraid of, and that repression is an unconscious process. The wisdom of expressing the emotions that we are aware of is a function of the context, social situation, and relationships involved. Sometimes it is a good idea (e.g. to a spouse) and sometimes it is better to keep the emotions inside (e.g. to your boss). In my experience it can be helpful to write out or talk out the emotions we are aware of as it might lead us to have some concept of what emotions we might be repressing, and how this defense mechanism of repression started. It's part of understanding our emotional, thinking, and behavior patterns. With this understanding we can begin to change the way we respond to triggers and stress in our everyday life.

Here's some great posts from Steve Ozanich on this topic:

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/seeking-the-grail.529/#post-3927 (Steven Ozanich - Seeking the Grail)

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/expressive-writing-question.15060/#post-79621 (Expressive writing question)

You might enjoy reading Steve's book if you haven't yet.

Lily Rose likes this.
  3. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

What Ellen said, and ...

Take great care that you do not become obsessed with doing this treatment right. This forum offers extensive wisdom and methodologies, and from this, you draw out what resonates and works for you. You will not be graded or judged on your progress. This is a journey. Bring your heart, your self-compassion and your openness into this learning. Ask advice, seek opinions, and then make your own judgments about what feels good to you.

As for expressing your emotions, it may be less about expressing them and more about acknowledging them without judgement. There is also a difference between 'expressing' emotions and 'acting out' emotions. Again, acknowledge this, observe it, and be compassionate towards yourself.

Shouting in the woods *smiles* Yes, Trees are magical beings. After shouting, you might consider leaning against one and just ... breathe and listen. Trees whisper secrets, and if you listen very carefully, your heart will begin to hear their words. Nature is always the best place to explore when the Soul is hurting.

... with Love and Gratitude <3

Lainey and Ellen like this.
  4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

What TMS books have you read?