1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What are people's thoughts on symptoms beginning after a flu?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by tgirl, Jan 25, 2016.

1. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

My mind keeps going to dark defeatist places. What are people's view on why my prickly legs began after a flu? It went away after a few weeks and returned two more times, the last time was after a prolonged period of intense stress. My doctors can't find a thing wrong with me and I have be tested extensively including MRI's and the works - at a loss as to why this is happening. Doctors are through with me.

I think my mind keeps going back to the fact that I feel a flu damaged something, yet no damage has been found. It's all so demoralizing.

Does the flu aspect of my symptoms fit in with any of the TMS theories? Any input would be appreciated.

2. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Hi TGirl I don't know how sick you were with the flu or how you handle illness or your connections to illness even in others close to you but sometimes being sick can create feelings of stress, helplessness, vulnerability, mortality...that might be what the connection to the flu is for you....hence TMS. But of course this is just a guess on my part. Perhaps it resonates with you.

Warmly, Susan

tgirl likes this.
  3. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Great guess Susan ....we want to blame something for what we have and it's always the thing we can remember just before the pains started for me it was when I caught me wife cheating.

4. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thank you both for your thoughts on this. It is easy for me to get quite negative about my situation.:(

5. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Accept it for know and move on

6. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi tgirl!
    My biggest struggle with physical problems is what things are TMs, and what things are rooted in an actual physical problem.
    I have discovered that even when I have a physical problem, my subC tends to manifest itself by prolonging the physical problem long after I should have recovered. That is my TMS at work. As Susan mentioned, it may be stress from the illness and feeling behind on tasks that leads to this.
    Try to explore your feelings. Are you working your way through he Structured
    Educational Program (SEP)? I found it to be amazingly effective.
    Blessings!

tgirl and Boston Redsox like this.